Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default How to ship my grapes cold?

Living in Vancouver, BC, I've always had an easy time getting red wine
grapes from our local wine region home. October harvests nearly
always guaranteed cool weather for the five hour truck drive to and
from the vineyard. I never worried about spoilage. Unfortunately,
with such a small area of land in BC available to grow premium
vinefera, today I can't guarantee getting the grapes. So, I've gone
south to friendly neighbours in the Pacific States.

We recently had frozen must shipped from Napa. That worked out well
but was extremely expensive, although I got good handle on
international refrigerated (reefer) shipping in the process. Last
year, we had a really good experience buying grapes for a winery near
Yakima, WA, but we got really lucky with weather, which was unusually
cold the day we picked up our grapes. In that area, late September
can still bring 80's or higher during the day.

My problem is opportunity... I can access fine grapes now, in
Washington and Oregon, all within a maximum 8 hour drive from my
house. BUT, how to keep them cool??

I've tried to find a company that will rent refrigerated vans or small
cube trucks, but with no success. And, in spite of an engineering/
science background, I can't come up with any viable solution that will
keep 1/2 ton of ($3K/ton) Pinot Noir safely chilled, in back of truck
or van, during its transit home.

In a word: help. Any suggestions, strategies (hare-brained or not),
or proven solutions most appreciably welcomed.

Darin
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Well, you invited hair-brained...

Since you're transferring product along the coast, maybe look into finding a
small commercial fishing boat with a reefer hold to make the trip, one
that's just tied up somewhere because the season is closed. There are a few
of them sitting around here, so presumably there's lots more everywhere
else.

Good luck,

WS.

"Darin" > wrote in message
> Living in Vancouver, BC, I've always had an easy time getting red wine
> grapes from our local wine region home. October harvests nearly
> always guaranteed cool weather for the five hour truck drive to and
> from the vineyard. I never worried about spoilage. Unfortunately,
> with such a small area of land in BC available to grow premium
> vinefera, today I can't guarantee getting the grapes. So, I've gone
> south to friendly neighbours in the Pacific States.
>
> We recently had frozen must shipped from Napa. That worked out well
> but was extremely expensive, although I got good handle on
> international refrigerated (reefer) shipping in the process. Last
> year, we had a really good experience buying grapes for a winery near
> Yakima, WA, but we got really lucky with weather, which was unusually
> cold the day we picked up our grapes. In that area, late September
> can still bring 80's or higher during the day.
>
> My problem is opportunity... I can access fine grapes now, in
> Washington and Oregon, all within a maximum 8 hour drive from my
> house. BUT, how to keep them cool??
>
> I've tried to find a company that will rent refrigerated vans or small
> cube trucks, but with no success. And, in spite of an engineering/
> science background, I can't come up with any viable solution that will
> keep 1/2 ton of ($3K/ton) Pinot Noir safely chilled, in back of truck
> or van, during its transit home.
>
> In a word: help. Any suggestions, strategies (hare-brained or not),
> or proven solutions most appreciably welcomed.
>
> Darin

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 21, 2:23*pm, Darin > wrote:
> Living in Vancouver, BC, I've always had an easy time getting red wine
> grapes from our local wine region home. *October harvests nearly
> always guaranteed cool weather for the five hour truck drive to and
> from the vineyard. *I never worried about spoilage. *Unfortunately,
> with such a small area of land in BC available to grow premium
> vinefera, today I can't guarantee getting the grapes. *So, I've gone
> south to friendly neighbours in the Pacific States.
>
> We recently had frozen must shipped from Napa. *That worked out well
> but was extremely expensive, although I got good handle on
> international refrigerated (reefer) shipping in the process. *Last
> year, we had a really good experience buying grapes for a winery near
> Yakima, WA, but we got really lucky with weather, which was unusually
> cold the day we picked up our grapes. *In that area, late September
> can still bring 80's or higher during the day.
>
> My problem is opportunity... *I can access fine grapes now, in
> Washington and Oregon, all within a maximum 8 hour drive from my
> house. *BUT, how to keep them cool??
>
> I've tried to find a company that will rent refrigerated vans or small
> cube trucks, but with no success. *And, in spite of an engineering/
> science background, I can't come up with any viable solution that will
> keep 1/2 ton of ($3K/ton) Pinot Noir safely chilled, in back of truck
> or van, during its transit home.
>
> In a word: help. *Any suggestions, strategies (hare-brained or not),
> or proven solutions most appreciably welcomed.
>
> Darin

I'm missing something, 1/2 ton would be around 25 40 pound lugs; why
not just rent a minvan that has the rear air conditioner, pop out the
seats, put down a tarp and just crank the air to max? Just wear a
coat. The border agents will talk about the crazy guy with the grapes
for weeks but you won't be close to baking those grapes. You could
take dri ice in coolers as another option.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 24, 10:17*am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:23*pm, Darin > wrote:
>

> > Living in Vancouver, BC, I've always had an easy time getting red wine
> > grapes from our local wine region home. *October harvests nearly
> > always guaranteed cool weather for the five hour truck drive to and
> > from the vineyard. *I never worried about spoilage. *Unfortunately,
> > with such a small area of land in BC available to grow premium
> > vinefera, today I can't guarantee getting the grapes. *So, I've gone
> > south to friendly neighbours in the Pacific States.

> > We recently had frozen must shipped from Napa. *That worked out well
> > but was extremely expensive, although I got good handle on
> > international refrigerated (reefer) shipping in the process. *Last
> > year, we had a really good experience buying grapes for a winery near
> > Yakima, WA, but we got really lucky with weather, which was unusually
> > cold the day we picked up our grapes. *In that area, late September
> > can still bring 80's or higher during the day.

> > My problem is opportunity... *I can access fine grapes now, in
> > Washington and Oregon, all within a maximum 8 hour drive from my
> > house. *BUT, how to keep them cool??

> > I've tried to find a company that will rent refrigerated vans or small
> > cube trucks, but with no success. *And, in spite of an engineering/
> > science background, I can't come up with any viable solution that will
> > keep 1/2 ton of ($3K/ton) Pinot Noir safely chilled, in back of truck
> > or van, during its transit home.

> > In a word: help. *Any suggestions, strategies (hare-brained or not),
> > or proven solutions most appreciably welcomed.

> > Darin

> I'm missing something, 1/2 ton would be around 25 40 pound lugs; why
> not just rent a minvan that has the rear air conditioner, pop out the
> seats, put down a tarp and just crank the air to max? *Just wear a
> coat. *The border agents will talk about the crazy guy with the grapes
> for weeks *but you won't be close to baking those grapes. *You could
> take dri ice in coolers as another option.
>
> Joe- Hide quoted text -

Gentlemen, thanks for the creative and pragmatic suggestions. Got to
admit, the thought of a trawler working it's way up the coast, hold
full of Oregon's finest Pinot Noir, got more than a few smiles.

You know, maybe the rental van with steroidal a/c is the answer...

Best regards,
Darin
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 24, 7:36*pm, Darin > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 10:17*am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 21, 2:23*pm, Darin > wrote:

> > > Living in Vancouver, BC, I've always had an easy time getting red wine
> > > grapes from our local wine region home. *October harvests nearly
> > > always guaranteed cool weather for the five hour truck drive to and
> > > from the vineyard. *I never worried about spoilage. *Unfortunately,
> > > with such a small area of land in BC available to grow premium
> > > vinefera, today I can't guarantee getting the grapes. *So, I've gone
> > > south to friendly neighbours in the Pacific States.

> > > We recently had frozen must shipped from Napa. *That worked out well
> > > but was extremely expensive, although I got good handle on
> > > international refrigerated (reefer) shipping in the process. *Last
> > > year, we had a really good experience buying grapes for a winery near
> > > Yakima, WA, but we got really lucky with weather, which was unusually
> > > cold the day we picked up our grapes. *In that area, late September
> > > can still bring 80's or higher during the day.

> > > My problem is opportunity... *I can access fine grapes now, in
> > > Washington and Oregon, all within a maximum 8 hour drive from my
> > > house. *BUT, how to keep them cool??

> > > I've tried to find a company that will rent refrigerated vans or small
> > > cube trucks, but with no success. *And, in spite of an engineering/
> > > science background, I can't come up with any viable solution that will
> > > keep 1/2 ton of ($3K/ton) Pinot Noir safely chilled, in back of truck
> > > or van, during its transit home.

> > > In a word: help. *Any suggestions, strategies (hare-brained or not),
> > > or proven solutions most appreciably welcomed.

> > > Darin

> > I'm missing something, 1/2 ton would be around 25 40 pound lugs; why
> > not just rent a minvan that has the rear air conditioner, pop out the
> > seats, put down a tarp and just crank the air to max? *Just wear a
> > coat. *The border agents will talk about the crazy guy with the grapes
> > for weeks *but you won't be close to baking those grapes. *You could
> > take dri ice in coolers as another option.

> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Gentlemen, thanks for the creative and pragmatic suggestions. *Got to
> admit, the thought of a trawler working it's way up the coast, hold
> full of Oregon's finest Pinot Noir, got more than a few smiles.
>
> You know, maybe the rental van with steroidal a/c is the answer...
>
> Best regards,
> Darin- Hide quoted text -

The things we do for good wine. You should see my Sentra when it's
loaded to the gills. Just don't tell it it's not a truck.

Joe