Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default topping off a barrel

I am about to bottle a 50-some gallon barrel of wine.
After cleaning the barrel, I can add about 35 gallons of wine from
demijohns that I can use to replace the bottled wine. That would leave
me with a huge amount of air in the barrel and that obviously can't
work. Any suggestions or should I just abandon the partial barrel
aging idea, clean the barrel, fill it with water and sterilizer then
wait until next year?
Orlando
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

a story,probably not a good answer.. my ancestors in swtzerland used
to put round stones into the barrells to keep the air out. i guess
bottles of argon or carbon dioxide were not readily available..lucas

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:

> a story,probably not a good answer.. my ancestors in swtzerland used
> to put round stones into the barrells to keep the air out. i guess
> bottles of argon or carbon dioxide were not readily available..lucas

Sure, that will work but there may be a problem getting the stones, marbles,
or whatever you use out of the barrel and racking from between is a real
PITA.

barrel Dirty Harry General Cooking 4 02-06-2006 05:28 AM
Barrel Cleaning and Topping Joe Sallustio Winemaking 6 28-04-2005 02:23 PM
CO2 instead of "topping off"? Bob Winemaking 28 29-11-2004 02:40 PM
Topping Up Dave Winemaking 10 20-10-2003 05:27 AM
topping off kit asdfasdfg Winemaking 2 13-10-2003 03:47 AM