Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default secondary fermentation mold

I have about 20 gallons of frontanac juice, skins and some stems that
have just gone through malolactic fermentation. There is a thin layer
of gray film on the must that looks like mold. What do you suggest.
I am about to press the skins and transfer the wine to carboys.

Thanks in advance,
s/v endeavor
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 9, 1:15*pm, sv Endeavor > wrote:
> I have about 20 gallons of frontanac juice, skins and some stems that
> have just gone through malolacticfermentation. *There is a thin layer
> of gray film on the must that looks likemold. *What do you suggest.
> I am about to press the skins and transfer the wine to carboys.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> s/v endeavor

I would think that racking to another carboy and leaving the mold
behind should do the trick.

I also would like to mention a new Yahoo group was recently formed.
It's free, moderated, and starting to grow. You can run this by the
group there if you want. My ISP stopped Usenet access so Google is the
only way I have access now until/unless I pick up a paid service.

Don
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 9, 6:07*pm, wrote:
> On Nov 9, 1:15*pm, sv Endeavor > wrote:
>
> > I have about 20 gallons of frontanac juice, skins and some stems that
> > have just gone through malolacticfermentation. *There is a thin layer
> > of gray film on the must that looks likemold. *What do you suggest.
> > I am about to press the skins and transfer the wine to carboys.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > s/v endeavor

> I would think that racking to another carboy and leaving the mold
> behind should do the trick.
>
> I also would like to mention a new Yahoo group was recently formed.
> It's free, moderated, and starting to grow. You can run this by the
> group there if you want. My ISP stopped Usenet access so Google is the
> only way I have access now until/unless I pick up a paid service.

> Don

I would skim it off before racking, if this is 'mycoderma-ish' it will
be kind of like an ash on top of the must. You can take a paper towel
and just drape it lightly on the must and drag most of it off. When
you rack it will get mixed into the must. As long as you sulfite well
you would kill it if it's mycoderma, just make sure everything is
topped well. I'm assuming the mlf is done, otherwise you have to
decide what to do as to sulfite.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 9, 3:07*pm, wrote:
> On Nov 9, 1:15*pm, sv Endeavor > wrote:
>
> > I have about 20 gallons of frontanac juice, skins and some stems that
> > have just gone through malolacticfermentation. *There is a thin layer
> > of gray film on the must that looks likemold. *What do you suggest.
> > I am about to press the skins and transfer the wine to carboys.

Joe, (above) had some good advice, and I would like to add to it.

(joe wrote) "skim it off before racking, if this is 'mycoderma-ish' it
will
be kind of like an ash on top of the must. You can take a paper towel
and just drape it lightly on the must and drag most of it off. When
you rack it will get mixed into the must. As long as you sulfite well
you would kill it if it's mycoderma, just make sure everything is
topped well. I'm assuming the mlf is done, otherwise you have to
decide what to do as to sulfite."

First ,this sounds like what is called "flowers of wine" (fow) ,maybe
the name is mycoderma, I am not knowing this.
What I do know is how to fix the problem called FOW..
This is not a sulphite problem, it is a air space on the wine that
allows this mold to grow.
Easy to fix though.

(joe) You can take a paper towel just drape it lightly on the must
and drag most of it off.
This is true it you have a 5 gallon pail for example.
But what if it is in a not properly topped off 5 gallon bottle ?

rack into another 5 gallon bottle and fill to the VERY top with extra
wine or water.
Of course you leave the lees behind...

The FOW will rise to the top.
remore the FOW by slowly pouring in mere wine / water and the FOW will
overflow leaving the bottle.
Repeat as necessary.
..Keep containers FULL topped off to prevent FOW.

Wino in CA