Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Potassium metabisulphate solution

Can someone please tell me how many grams of potassium metabisulphate
should I add to a liter of water to make a 10% solution?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 26, 11:29*am, Jim > wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how many grams of potassium metabisulphate
> should I add to a liter of water to make a 10% solution?

Here are two tips I've read along the way...

Preparing a 10% Potassium Metabisulphite Solution
The solution is made by adding sufficient water to 100 grams of
Potassium Metabisulphite to bring the total volume to precisely 1
Litre. Store this solution in a tightly sealed clean glass container.

Preparing a 1% Potassium Metabisulphite Solution
The solution is made by adding sufficient water to 10 grams of
Potassium Metabisulphite to bring the total volume to precisely 1
Litre. Store this solution in a tightly sealed clean glass container.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I am confused (often).

If you are making a 10% weight/weight solution, wouldn't you add 900
milliliters of water to 100 grams of sulfite?

On Sep 26, 11:29 am, Jim > wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how many grams of potassium metabisulphate
> should I add to a liter of water to make a 10% solution?

Here are two tips I've read along the way...

Preparing a 10% Potassium Metabisulphite Solution
The solution is made by adding sufficient water to 100 grams of
Potassium Metabisulphite to bring the total volume to precisely 1
Litre. Store this solution in a tightly sealed clean glass container.

Preparing a 1% Potassium Metabisulphite Solution
The solution is made by adding sufficient water to 10 grams of
Potassium Metabisulphite to bring the total volume to precisely 1
Litre. Store this solution in a tightly sealed clean glass container.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Lum Eisenman wrote:
> I am confused (often).

Lum,

Don't feel bad. You're right. Kind of.

Your way does make a 10% solution wt/wt.

djammalo's way makes a 10% solution wt/vol.

Because Kmeta is about four times denser than water, there's more room
for the water to fill to 1000 ml, about 75 ml, to be precise. this means
that there's actually 100 grams Kmeta to about 975 grams water. That
makes it a 100 g / 1075 g wt/wt of solution, or about 9.3% wt/wt.

But I seem to recall that these solutions are often (usually?) made up
as wt/vol for simplicity's sake.

It's a rainy day here in northern NJ. All I have to do is punch down the
cap on the vat of red, watch the bubblers on the whites, and measure
out powder into volumes of water. Oh yes, and drink some of last year's
Hurricane Red.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Mike McGeough" > wrote in message
> Lum Eisenman wrote:
>> I am confused (often).

> Lum,
>
> Don't feel bad. You're right. Kind of.
>
> Your way does make a 10% solution wt/wt.
>
> djammalo's way makes a 10% solution wt/vol.
>
> Because Kmeta is about four times denser than water, there's more room for
> the water to fill to 1000 ml, about 75 ml, to be precise. this means that
> there's actually 100 grams Kmeta to about 975 grams water. That makes it a
> 100 g / 1075 g wt/wt of solution, or about 9.3% wt/wt.
>
> But I seem to recall that these solutions are often (usually?) made up as
> wt/vol for simplicity's sake.
>
> It's a rainy day here in northern NJ. All I have to do is punch down the
> cap on the vat of red, watch the bubblers on the whites, and measure out
> powder into volumes of water. Oh yes, and drink some of last year's
> Hurricane Red.
>
> --
> Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

None of which answers the original question....... ;o)

Frederick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

frederick ploegman wrote:

> None of which answers the original question....... ;o)
>
> Frederick

As originally asked, 102.5 grams added _to_ 1 Liter.

Happy now?
--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

Sodium metabisulphate Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 7 14-05-2009 12:27 AM
Potassium Metabisulphate sanitizing solution Jim Winemaking 3 02-08-2006 07:35 PM
Potassium metabisulfite? Crhoff Winemaking 3 14-03-2006 06:00 PM
Potassium ms. tonya General Cooking 5 29-12-2005 10:10 AM
high potassium = low ph? [email protected] Winemaking 2 11-06-2005 08:59 AM