Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Many Pairs of Pears

I stopped by the local fruit and veggie market today and
scored 26 pounds of VERY ripe pears for $3.00.
Couldn't let a deal like that slide by.

I got one of Jack Keller's recipes, cored and de-stemmed
almost all of the pears, and the batch is now sitting in the kitchen
waiting for me to add the yeast tomorrow.
The pears were actually too ripe to cut up so I just squished
them into the primary.

Last year I made some apple wine which turned out to be
extremely sweet - so now it's a desert wine.
I don't mind a sweet wine, but I'd like this one to be just
slightly sweet if not dry. Anything I should watch for?
Any hazards with using pears that are that ripe?

BB

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bob Becker wrote:

> I stopped by the local fruit and veggie market
> today and scored 26 pounds of VERY ripe pears
> for $3.00. Couldn't let a deal like that slide
> by.
>
> I got one of Jack Keller's recipes, cored and
> de-stemmed almost all of the pears, and the
> batch is now sitting in the kitchen waiting for
> me to add the yeast tomorrow. The pears were
> actually too ripe to cut up so I just squished
> them into the primary.
>
> Last year I made some apple wine which turned
> out to be extremely sweet - so now it's a desert
> wine. I don't mind a sweet wine, but I'd like
> this one to be just
> slightly sweet if not dry. Anything I should
> watch for? Any hazards with using pears that are
> that ripe?
>
> BB

Shouldn't be a problem. The best pear wine I ever
made was from the hard pears or unripe pears.
You might want to check the acid of your must.
It might be the case that it lacks acid and if so
will produce a very bland wine unless you bring
up the acidity.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Bob Becker" > wrote in message
>I stopped by the local fruit and veggie market today and
> scored 26 pounds of VERY ripe pears for $3.00.
> Couldn't let a deal like that slide by.
>
> I got one of Jack Keller's recipes, cored and de-stemmed
> almost all of the pears, and the batch is now sitting in the kitchen
> waiting for me to add the yeast tomorrow.
> The pears were actually too ripe to cut up so I just squished
> them into the primary.
>
> Last year I made some apple wine which turned out to be
> extremely sweet - so now it's a desert wine.
> I don't mind a sweet wine, but I'd like this one to be just
> slightly sweet if not dry. Anything I should watch for?
> Any hazards with using pears that are that ripe?
>
> BB

I let my pears get a bit over-ripe, quarter and seed them, then freeze the
quarters in a plastic bag. When thawed, they become very mushy, like your
uncuttable pears, and the nectar just flows off of them. I smash them in the
primary, then strain through a bag into the secondary when the fermentation
slows down.

One of my more popular recipies is cream pear wine. I make some pear syrup
and add it to the dry pear wine. Directions at:

http://home.comcast.net/~rbfarm/hrushka.html

Paul

TN: 8 pairs of '95/'96 Bdx, plus Taittinger, ZH, Jadot, Carbonnieux blanc DaleW Wine 0 09-04-2016 10:29 PM
Pears Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 14 31-08-2009 01:32 AM
Pears George Shirley Preserving 0 29-08-2009 08:04 PM
Pears again George Shirley Preserving 1 19-08-2008 05:51 AM
Gallo pairs up with Martha Stewart [email protected] Wine 3 19-09-2007 03:51 PM