Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Honeysuckle

Has anyone ever used honeysuckle for making wine
or for adding bouquet to a wine? I found a
recipe on Jack Kellers web site.

The stuff grows wild prolifically around here,
smells good and according to wikipedia has been
used to flavor wines.

It is VERY easy to gather the flowers and seems
like it might be a lot easier than trying to make
wine from dandelions.

I plan to add some to a sample size bottle of
vodka and just see what the extract smells and
taste like and if promising, add some to some
mead I have in bulk and some Riesling also.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 6, 10:12*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:

> I plan to add some to a sample size bottle of
> vodka and just see what the extract smells and
> taste like and if promising, add some to some
> mead I have in bulk and some Riesling also.

I had not thought of using honeysuckle to make wine. I have used the
flowers to flavor vodka. I filled a jar with flowers and let them
steep for a couple of weeks. It came out with a kinda coyingly sweet
taste and a slightly amber color.

Since you reminded me of it, I poured me a snifter. It has retained
its flavor very well over the past year. Thanks for reminding me.
Please report your results.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 7, 3:12*am, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used honeysuckle for making wine
> or for adding bouquet to a wine? *I found a
> recipe on Jack Kellers web site.
>
> The stuff grows wild prolifically around here,
> smells good and according to wikipedia has been
> used to flavor wines. *
>
> It is VERY easy to gather the flowers and seems
> like it might be a lot easier than trying to make
> wine from dandelions.
>
> I plan to add some to a sample size bottle of
> vodka and just see what the extract smells and
> taste like and if promising, add some to some
> mead I have in bulk and some Riesling also.

I was considering making some for the same reasons. I've read that
everything but the blooms themselves are rather poisonous though.