Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Would you add a fining agent to a clear white wine?

I have several carboys of what appear to be perfectly clear whites.
Last year, I also had whites clear on their own, but after a year in
the bottle I seem to have a mild sediment or haze. I'm told it might
be a protein haze which can appear especially when the wine warms up.

My question to all of you is this: Do you fine perfectly clear
whites? I've never been especially struck that fining takes away much
in the way of flavor. I'm inclined to fine with either bentonite or
super-kleeer.

Any thoughts?

Lee
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I regularly use bentonite on whites to good effect. Shine a
flashlight through the clear wine and you might still see tiny flecks
of solids in the beam, look at 90 degrees to the beam.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On May 29, 1:09*pm, Lee > wrote:
> I have several carboys of what appear to be perfectly clear whites.
> Last year, I also had whites clear on their own, but after a year in
> the bottle I seem to have a mild sediment or haze. *I'm told it might
> be a protein haze which can appear especially when the wine warms up.
>
> My question to all of you is this: *Do you fine perfectly clear
> whites? *I've never been especially struck that fining takes away much
> in the way of flavor. *I'm inclined to fine with either bentonite or
> super-kleeer.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Lee

Whites can be tricky that way. You can do a hot stability (protein)
check or cold stability (tartrate) check on a sample to make sure -
the link below describes both:

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-stabilization.html

If you do the test, it should tell you if you need to fine and with
what.

Pp

fining wine--egg white ilaboo[_3_] Wine 0 23-05-2009 01:21 PM
Birch Sap wine fining Winemaking 3 08-12-2006 05:32 PM
Vegetarian / vegan wine fining paul dowrick Winemaking 4 12-09-2005 05:41 PM
Fining agent logistics....somewhat rambling J Dixon Winemaking 6 12-11-2004 04:13 AM
best fining for peach wine? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 6 20-01-2004 05:24 PM