Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default i like merlot wine

i have made a batch of merlot and caberon sab. mixed, it onlky took 4
weeks to ferment, I bought a hydrometer can i just put it in carbouy
to be sure its done
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 13, 3:30 pm, wrote:
> i have made a batch of merlot and caberon sab. mixed, it onlky took 4
> weeks to ferment, I bought a hydrometer can i just put it in carbouy
> to be sure its done

Even if it's done fermenting, it's still loaded with CO2 and shouldn't
be bottled yet. You need to either let it bulk age for several months
or remove the gas via manual agitation or stirring. I strongly
recommend the former over the latter. Bulk aging will not only allow
the CO2 to escape on its own, but will also ensure that fermentation
is 100% complete and allow the flavors to more fully develop and
integrate.

You should never put a hydrometer directly into a carboy. If it breaks
in the carboy, the whole batch could be lost. It may also drop too far
into the carboy to be retrieved. You need to test the wine in a
hydrometer test jar or other suitable beaker or vial.

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 13, 10:48*pm, wrote:
> On Feb 13, 3:30 pm, wrote:
>
> > i have made a batch of merlot and caberon sab. mixed, it onlky took 4
> > weeks to ferment, I bought a hydrometer can i just put it in carbouy
> > to be sure its done

> Even if it's done fermenting, it's still loaded with CO2 and shouldn't
> be bottled yet. You need to either let it bulk age for several months
> or remove the gas via manual agitation or stirring. I strongly
> recommend the former over the latter. Bulk aging will not only allow
> the CO2 to escape on its own, but will also ensure that fermentation
> is 100% complete and allow the flavors to more fully develop and
> integrate.
>
> You should never put a hydrometer directly into a carboy. If it breaks
> in the carboy, the whole batch could be lost. It may also drop too far
> into the carboy to be retrieved. You need to test the wine in a
> hydrometer test jar or other suitable beaker or vial.
>
> Greg

Did just that and it broke,wasted a whole batch.Some good