geo

Default Wine Expert White Merlot

I have a WineExpert (nee BrewKing) white merlot kit in the primary.
Anybody have any advice for how to get the most out of this kit? My
retailer recommended it over the White Zinfandel kit (my wife likes
blush wines).

geo

Never did get any response to this posting about my White Merlot kit
from Wine Expert. Now I have a problem with it. Here's a brief
history.

Fermentation started on 1/9; racked from primary into the carboy on
1/17; stabilized and fined on 1/29, and racked again on 2/6.

It looked beautifully clear from the neck of the carboy down to a point
about an inch or two below the shoulder. From that point downward, was
kind of hazy. I figured it would clear in a week or two - but here it
is a month later, and there's very little change.
There is a very clear level above which this wine is very clear, and
below which it's hazy. It's been fined with the isinglass that came
with the kit (on the 29th).

There's a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, so I'm
thinking about racking it this weekend. Should I subject it to another
fining at the same time? Or just wait?

Ray Calvert

"geo" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Never did get any response to this posting about my White Merlot kit
> from Wine Expert. Now I have a problem with it. Here's a brief
> history.
>
> Fermentation started on 1/9; racked from primary into the carboy on
> 1/17; stabilized and fined on 1/29, and racked again on 2/6.
>
> It looked beautifully clear from the neck of the carboy down to a point
> about an inch or two below the shoulder. From that point downward, was
> kind of hazy. I figured it would clear in a week or two - but here it
> is a month later, and there's very little change.
> There is a very clear level above which this wine is very clear, and
> below which it's hazy. It's been fined with the isinglass that came
> with the kit (on the 29th).
>
> There's a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, so I'm
> thinking about racking it this weekend. Should I subject it to another
> fining at the same time? Or just wait?

I have not made this particular kit and maybe no one else has so no one
responded. Nor have I had this problem with a kit before. I have had
similar problems with white wines made from juice however. I used super
klear on it. It is a two stage clearing agent. You rack your wine and mix
the first stage in. Stir well. Then mix the second stag in and put it back
in you carboy. Be sure to top up. It will work in from 6 to 48 yours. For
me, it always works over night. One of the few things in wine making that
seems to work fast. Very good for whit wines. I am sure it will work well
on blush wines. I would not use it on a red wine.

Ray

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:37:54 GMT, "Ray Calvert"
> wrote:

>"geo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Never did get any response to this posting about my White Merlot kit
>> from Wine Expert. Now I have a problem with it. Here's a brief
>> history.
>>
>> Fermentation started on 1/9; racked from primary into the carboy on
>> 1/17; stabilized and fined on 1/29, and racked again on 2/6.
>>
>> It looked beautifully clear from the neck of the carboy down to a point
>> about an inch or two below the shoulder. From that point downward, was
>> kind of hazy. I figured it would clear in a week or two - but here it
>> is a month later, and there's very little change.
>> There is a very clear level above which this wine is very clear, and
>> below which it's hazy. It's been fined with the isinglass that came
>> with the kit (on the 29th).
>>
>> There's a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, so I'm
>> thinking about racking it this weekend. Should I subject it to another
>> fining at the same time? Or just wait?
>>

>I have not made this particular kit and maybe no one else has so no one
>responded. Nor have I had this problem with a kit before. I have had
>similar problems with white wines made from juice however. I used super
>klear on it. It is a two stage clearing agent. You rack your wine and mix
>the first stage in. Stir well. Then mix the second stag in and put it back
>in you carboy. Be sure to top up. It will work in from 6 to 48 yours. For
>me, it always works over night. One of the few things in wine making that
>seems to work fast. Very good for whit wines. I am sure it will work well
>on blush wines. I would not use it on a red wine.
>
>Ray

I haven't made this kit either, but have run into similar problems. I
would rack it without further fining and give it a few weeks. This
usually works. If it still doesn't show progress clearing, then try
the SuperKlear. I've only had one wine that SuperKlear didn't clear
within 48 hours.

Truitt

Scott

If you did not get a response from Tim Vandergrift from Wine Expert then go
to www.winepress.us forums under the Wine Kits section. He co-moderates
it, and will respond to you promptly. Scott

"geo" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Never did get any response to this posting about my White Merlot kit
> from Wine Expert. Now I have a problem with it. Here's a brief
> history.
>
> Fermentation started on 1/9; racked from primary into the carboy on
> 1/17; stabilized and fined on 1/29, and racked again on 2/6.
>
> It looked beautifully clear from the neck of the carboy down to a point
> about an inch or two below the shoulder. From that point downward, was
> kind of hazy. I figured it would clear in a week or two - but here it
> is a month later, and there's very little change.
> There is a very clear level above which this wine is very clear, and
> below which it's hazy. It's been fined with the isinglass that came
> with the kit (on the 29th).
>
> There's a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, so I'm
> thinking about racking it this weekend. Should I subject it to another
> fining at the same time? Or just wait?

A. J. Rawls

I have made that kit several times and everything went just great....
I suggest you rack it again, do not fine and let it sit in a cool
place for a couple of months....

Beringer White Merlot Salil Wine 14 02-10-2006 03:32 AM
Warning Wine Expert's new kit Dick Adams Winemaking 3 13-01-2005 08:53 PM
Warning Wine Expert's new kit STEPHEN PEEK Winemaking 5 13-01-2005 07:15 PM
White Merlot, White Cabernet Sauvignon jeffc Wine 64 04-08-2004 09:43 PM
Term for Wine Expert-not Sommelier? Sarah General 3 06-02-2004 11:00 PM