Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Mead, anyone?

Hi all,

Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but did not find any
mead-making newsgroup (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
something that can be discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)

Thanks,
Peter
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Peter Pichler" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but did not find any
> mead-making newsgroup (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
> something that can be discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Sure. I only have one batch under my belt, and it is just about a year old
now. I tried a bottle of it expecting it to be a bit harsh still, having
read that mead really needs age, but it was smooth as silk. I am berating
myself for making only a gallon now. Will be at least 5 gallons next batch,
with 1 gallon batches for playing with some melomels or metheglins.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Peter Pichler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and
> wide, but did not find any mead-making newsgroup
> (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
> something that can be discussed here? After all,
> mead *is* honey wine :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

There is one. It is
rec.crafts.meadmaking

maybe your ISP will add it if you ask them.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Peter Pichler wrote:

> Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but
> did not find any mead-making newsgroup (at least not
> that my ISP would carry). Is it something that can be
> discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)

Tell your ISP about rec.craft.meadmaking.
You will find the inhabitants there to be friendly,
courtesy, and helpful - even when sober! <g>

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Quixote" > wrote in message
> Sure. I only have one batch under my belt, and it is just about a year
> old now. I tried a bottle of it expecting it to be a bit harsh still,
> having read that mead really needs age, but it was smooth as silk. I am
> berating

Could you share your recipe with us?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dick Adams wrote:

> Tell your ISP about rec.craft.meadmaking.
> You will find the inhabitants there to be friendly,
> courtesy, and helpful - even when sober! <g>

Thanks, Dick and Paul. I have asked my ISP, now I am trembling with
anticipation! ;-)

Peter
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Quixote wrote:
> "Peter Pichler" > wrote in message
>
>>Is it something that can be discussed here?

> Sure. I only have one batch under my belt, and it is just about a year old
> now. I tried a bottle of it expecting it to be a bit harsh still, having
> read that mead really needs age, but it was smooth as silk.

I have taken it up only about a year ago and do not have anything older
than from February. It tastes great, though. I am of course saving some
to mature, I will see how it turns out.

Cheers,
Peter
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Bob Becker" > wrote in message
news

> "Quixote" > wrote in message
>> Sure. I only have one batch under my belt, and it is just about a year
>> old now. I tried a bottle of it expecting it to be a bit harsh still,
>> having read that mead really needs age, but it was smooth as silk. I am
>> berating

> Could you share your recipe with us?

I was very lax with record keeping on it. It was enough Texas wildflower
honey and water to get a spg of 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what
yeast, but it may have been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited
then. I did not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some bentonite did
the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste so I back sweetened with
just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate. Been in the bottle about six
months now.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Quixote wrote:

> I was very lax with record keeping on it. It was enough Texas wildflower
> honey and water to get a spg of 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what
> yeast, but it may have been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited
> then. I did not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
> honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some bentonite did
> the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste so I back sweetened with
> just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate. Been in the bottle about six
> months now.

Flor Sherry? Bentonite? Spg? Sorbate? You are too scientific, mate ;-)

I made three 1-gal batches, as I had three jars (linden, forest and
multifloral) to spare. I used one jar (~900g or 2lb) per gallon. Dunno
what the SG was as I only purchased a hydrometer much later. I poured
the honey into boiling water and kept just below boiling for about 20
min. It dissolves better that way. I have read that I was supposed to
skim the froth, but there was not much froth to skim anyway.

For yeast I just used dried baking yeast called Young's from a local
supermarket (UK). No idea what strain. After about a month of primary
fermentation, I racked to a new demijohn with 500g of raisins. The extra
sugar boost from the raisins restarted the fermentation. When it
stopped, I racked again and left alone for a couple more months to
clear. I have no idea how much alcohol is in it, but it tastes quite
potent and smooth even when it is only a few months old.

Here is my first question, before my ISP wakes up and gives me
rec.crafts.meadmaking: boiling the honey and skimming the froth is
supposed to remove the proteins and thus speed up clearing. But aren't
yeast, being living organisms, also made of protein?

Peter
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 7, 6:35 pm, Peter Pichler > wrote:
> Quixote wrote:
> > I was very lax with record keeping on it. It was enough Texas wildflower
> > honey and water to get a spg of 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what
> > yeast, but it may have been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited
> > then. I did not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
> > honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some bentonite did
> > the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste so I back sweetened with
> > just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate. Been in the bottle about six
> > months now.

> Flor Sherry? Bentonite? Spg? Sorbate? You are too scientific, mate ;-)
>
> I made three 1-gal batches, as I had three jars (linden, forest and
> multifloral) to spare. I used one jar (~900g or 2lb) per gallon. Dunno
> what the SG was as I only purchased a hydrometer much later. I poured
> the honey into boiling water and kept just below boiling for about 20
> min. It dissolves better that way. I have read that I was supposed to
> skim the froth, but there was not much froth to skim anyway.
>
> For yeast I just used dried baking yeast called Young's from a local
> supermarket (UK). No idea what strain. After about a month of primary
> fermentation, I racked to a new demijohn with 500g of raisins. The extra
> sugar boost from the raisins restarted the fermentation. When it
> stopped, I racked again and left alone for a couple more months to
> clear. I have no idea how much alcohol is in it, but it tastes quite
> potent and smooth even when it is only a few months old.
>
> Here is my first question, before my ISP wakes up and gives me
> rec.crafts.meadmaking: boiling the honey and skimming the froth is
> supposed to remove the proteins and thus speed up clearing. But aren't
> yeast, being living organisms, also made of protein?
>
> Peter

Peter, for now, just go to google.com and grab 'groups', then cruise
over to rec.crafts.meadmaking. It is an offshoot of this group. When
your ISP catches on you will be set. I make mead too.

I never boil and always skim, no need for wax and bee legs in mead.
If you take the water to about 60C you will have no issues with the
honey dissolving and may retain some additional flavor from the
honey. As to the yeast question, I really am not sure what you mean.
They can't handle temperature above 50C. Meads are notorious slow
fermenters, by adding those raisins you not only added sugar, you
added nutrient. If you are happy with your yeast have at it but most
meadmakers use a wine yeast. The protein they are interested in
removing can cause what is called a protein haze, it's more of a
cosmetic defect than anything else.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Quixote" >
> "Bob Becker" > wrote:
>> "Quixote" > wrote:

>>> Sure. I only have one batch under my belt, and it is just about a year
>>> old now. I tried a bottle of it expecting it to be a bit harsh still,
>>> having read that mead really needs age, but it was smooth as silk. I am
>>> berating

> Could you share your recipe with us?

> I was very lax with record keeping on it.

That happens - you are not alone.

> It was enough Texas wildflower honey and water to get a spg of
> 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what yeast, but it may have
> been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited then. I did
> not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
> honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some
> bentonite did the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste
> so I back sweetened with just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate.
> Been in the bottle about six months now.

It always a pleasure to meet someone who understands enough
not to boil the honey.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Peter Pichler >
> Quixote wrote:

> I was very lax with record keeping on it. It was enough Texas wildflower
> honey and water to get a spg of 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what
> yeast, but it may have been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited
> then. I did not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
> honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some bentonite did
> the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste so I back sweetened with
> just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate. Been in the bottle about six
> months now.

> Flor Sherry? Bentonite? Spg? Sorbate? You are too scientific, mate ;-)

> I made three 1-gal batches, as I had three jars (linden, forest and
> multifloral) to spare. I used one jar (~900g or 2lb) per gallon. Dunno
> what the SG was as I only purchased a hydrometer much later. I poured
> the honey into boiling water and kept just below boiling for about 20
> min. It dissolves better that way. I have read that I was supposed to
> skim the froth, but there was not much froth to skim anyway.

Next time keep your water between 140-158F (60-70C)

> For yeast I just used dried baking yeast called Young's
> from a local supermarket (UK). No idea what strain.

I was not aware baking yeast came in strains. But I have
heard prisoners use baking yeast to make alcohol.

> After about a month of primary fermentation, I racked to a
> new demijohn with 500g of raisins. The extra sugar boost
> from the raisins restarted the fermentation.

The raisins may have saved your meads from the baking yeast
by adding a very strong flavor to the mead.

> When it stopped, I racked again and left alone for a couple
> more months to clear. I have no idea how much alcohol is in
> it, but it tastes quite potent and smooth even when it is
> only a few months old.

> Here is my first question, before my ISP wakes up and gives me
> rec.crafts.meadmaking: boiling the honey and skimming the froth is
> supposed to remove the proteins and thus speed up clearing. But aren't
> yeast, being living organisms, also made of protein?

I'll venture a guess of 9.5% to 10.5%

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> "Quixote" >

>> Could you share your recipe with us?

>> I was very lax with record keeping on it.

> That happens - you are not alone.
>
>> It was enough Texas wildflower honey and water to get a spg of
>> 1.110 in a gallon primary. Forget what yeast, but it may have
>> been Flor Sherry, as my yeast picks were limited then. I did
>> not boil the honey, as I was afraid it might steal some of the
>> honey flavor that I love, and so it took some fining. Some
>> bentonite did the trick. It also went pretty dry for my taste
>> so I back sweetened with just a touch of invert sugar and sorbate.
>> Been in the bottle about six months now.

> It always a pleasure to meet someone who understands enough
> not to boil the honey.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was actually a beekeeper in past
years. Kind of let it slip when the Africanized bees started making their
way into south Texas. The kids were young then, and the hives were very
close to the house. I still have the equipment, but would have to build new
hives, and am thinking about starting up again for a cheap source of honey.
The kids are grown now and away... :^) I have developed a taste for mead...

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Paul Arthur" > wrote in message
om...
> On 2007-10-08, Dick Adams > wrote:
>
>> Peter Pichler >
>>
>>> Quixote write:

>>> For yeast I just used dried baking yeast called Young's from a
>>> local supermarket (UK). No idea what strain.

That was not my quote, but rather Peter Pichler's. I use wine yeast for my
mead.

>> I was not aware baking yeast came in strains.
>> But I have heard prisoners use baking yeast to make alcohol.

> As do some homebrewers. Joe's Ancient Orange mead is often recommended
> as a good first mead, since it's a fairly quick one and the recipe is
> quite simple. The recipe calls for bread yeast (a specific brand, and
> substitutions of other strains are not guaranteed to work).

I have, however, used wine yeast to make a sour dough starter, and it
produces the most wonderful loaves. The rise is a lot slower so I have to
let the sponge rise literally overnight, and the finished dough for several
hours, but the results are worth every minute.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but did not find any
> mead-making newsgroup (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
> something that can be discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)

Did you not find: rec.crafts.meadmaking ???

I don't read it, but it should still exist ...

Derric

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Did you not find: rec.crafts.meadmaking ???

Sorry, didn't read far enuf and see that it was already pointed out!

Derric
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Peter Pichler" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but did not find any
> mead-making newsgroup (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
> something that can be discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I've made a variety of mead products over the last 5 or 6 years. My favorite
is a rose mead; I added a quart of white rose petals to each gallon of must.
I finally found a use for that monstrous rose bush alongside the driveway.
Pyment is also good; grape flavored mead. One of the side benefits of
getting involved in mead is that you'll pick up a lot of good words for
Scrabble; pyment, cyser, melomel, etc.

I've generally found that meads take at least a year of age before they're
drinkable; three or four years is better.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 00:32:19 +0100, Peter Pichler
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Trust me, I have scoured the Usenet high and wide, but did not find any
>mead-making newsgroup (at least not that my ISP would carry). Is it
>something that can be discussed here? After all, mead *is* honey wine :-)
>
>Thanks,
>Peter

rec.crafts.meadmaking

The Anchorage Fishwrapper and Litterbox Liner Press
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> Peter, for now, just go to google.com and grab 'groups', then cruise
> over to rec.crafts.meadmaking. It is an offshoot of this group. When
> your ISP catches on you will be set. I make mead too.

Thanks, I promise I won't start another thread here. I cannot promise
not contributing to this one, though :-)

> I never boil and always skim, no need for wax and bee legs in mead.

Interesting. I must be using honey that has been clered from these
things. Never seen any impurities. Skimming never yields more than a
couple of spoonfuls of froth. Could be something to do with not having
my own source and hence having to buy from a supermarket.

I do not boil either: I bring the water to the boil and then add the
honey, thus cooling it down. Afterwards, I take great care not to boil
it again.

> As to the yeast question, I really am not sure what you mean.
> They can't handle temperature above 50C.

I mean, you go though all the bother with heating and skimming to remove
the protein, only to put some (i.e. yeast) back again.

> Meads are notorious slow
> fermenters, by adding those raisins you not only added sugar, you
> added nutrient. If you are happy with your yeast have at it but most
> meadmakers use a wine yeast.

That's the next phase: experimenting with various strains. I figured
that for that I really need to get a LOT of honey of the same kind to be
able to compare (and be sure that the only difference is the yeast).

> The protein they are interested in
> removing can cause what is called a protein haze, it's more of a
> cosmetic defect than anything else.

Somehow it always come out clear for me. I have had one particularly
cloudy batch that mysteriously cleared itself up in the second
fermentation (with raisins). Could be thanks to some additives in the
raisins: sulphur or whatnot.

Peter
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul Arthur wrote:
> On 2007-10-08, Dick Adams > wrote:
>
>>But I have heard prisoners use baking yeast to make alcohol.

> As do some homebrewers. Joe's Ancient Orange mead is often recommended
> as a good first mead, since it's a fairly quick one and the recipe is
> quite simple. The recipe calls for bread yeast (a specific brand, and
> substitutions of other strains are not guaranteed to work).

I am not sure I used the recommended brand, but it worked for me :-)

2007 IMA Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition Call for Entries Oskaar Winemaking 0 01-11-2006 08:09 AM
Mead AP2 Winemaking 7 29-11-2004 01:24 AM
I think my mead is going bad [email protected] Winemaking 15 26-10-2004 12:32 AM
Mead Tee Doubleyou Winemaking 6 23-07-2004 04:04 PM