Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Scott Labs Tannin

Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?

They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand Cru.

Just wondering if anyone has experience they want
to share.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 4, 2:19 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
> Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?
>
> They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
> perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand Cru.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has experience they want
> to share.

Paul,
I'd be interested in knowing more too, about adding tannin to my
Syrah. I'll be fermenting in another week, and am not sure if it
would be advisable. Peynaud, in his book, Knowing and Making Wine,
says, "As a general rule, the vinification of the great majority of
vintages and musts does not gain anything by the addition of
tannin." (p.90) Perhaps I should call Scott Labs. I've emailed the
Laffort people but no reply. I'm talking Laffort Tannin VR Supra sold
through MoreWine. If I learn anything I'll post it. Tacoma Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tacoma Joe wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2:19 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
>> Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?
>>
>> They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
>> perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand
>> Cru.
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has experience they
>> want to share.

> Paul,
> I'd be interested in knowing more too, about
> adding tannin to my
> Syrah. I'll be fermenting in another week, and
> am not sure if it
> would be advisable. Peynaud, in his book,
> Knowing and Making Wine, says, "As a general
> rule, the vinification of the great majority of
> vintages and musts does not gain anything by the
> addition of
> tannin." (p.90) Perhaps I should call Scott
> Labs. I've emailed the
> Laffort people but no reply. I'm talking
> Laffort Tannin VR Supra sold
> through MoreWine. If I learn anything I'll post
> it. Tacoma Joe

They also sell the Tan'Cor and Tannin Plus

As I understand it, the Tan'Cor is not supposed to
add an Oak taste but rather helps with the mid
palate. I believe the above two products are
added post fermentation while the Tannin VR is
added during fermentation.

I called Scott Labs and they sent me samples.
Depending on your volume of wine it may be
sufficient for your needs.

I plan on adding the Tan'Cor and Tanin Plus to
some wine I have ageing right now - it isn't
great wine so I don't think I will screw it up.

Next year I plan on having some of the Tannin VR
on hand during crush as it supposed to help
suppress the vegetal characteristics of some
unripe grapes. This year here in North Central
Maryland the Cab. Sauv. will ripen fully but it
is not always the case here.

Please keep the group informed if you decide to go
for it.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Oct 4, 2:19 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
> Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?
>
> They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
> perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand Cru.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has experience they want
> to share.

I'm using VR Supra on a regular basis and have used the Grand Cru
tannin on one wine. I'm happy with the results but don't have a
untreated wine to compare so can't say for sure how much of a
difference the tannins make. Supra is used to make the colour more
stable so that one is even trickier to evaluate, with Grand Cru you
have basically a finished wine so you can play with it with more
precision, maybe add it in stages or do a split batch to compare. The
only "danger" I can see is that it's easy to become addicted to all
the new tricks out there and start using them as a golden hammer...
kinda like what you said in another thread on the new oak.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 5, 12:51 pm, pp > wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2:19 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
> > Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?

> > They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
> > perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand Cru.

> > Just wondering if anyone has experience they want
> > to share.

> I'm using VR Supra on a regular basis and have used the Grand Cru
> tannin on one wine. I'm happy with the results but don't have a
> untreated wine to compare so can't say for sure how much of a
> difference the tannins make. Supra is used to make the colour more
> stable so that one is even trickier to evaluate, with Grand Cru you
> have basically a finished wine so you can play with it with more
> precision, maybe add it in stages or do a split batch to compare. The
> only "danger" I can see is that it's easy to become addicted to all
> the new tricks out there and start using them as a golden hammer...
> kinda like what you said in another thread on the new oak.
>
> Pp

I bought some from a member of this group awhile back. I really like
the structure the Grand Cru brought to the wine- I'll be adding some
to some merlot in the coming days. It really improved the taste of my
Red Zin from last year.

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

pp wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2:19 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used the products Tan'Cor Grand
>> Cru or Tanin Plus from Scott Laboratories?
>>
>> They claim that it enhances mid palate sensory
>> perception - at least for the Tan 'Cor Grand
>> Cru.
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has experience they
>> want to share.

> I'm using VR Supra on a regular basis and have
> used the Grand Cru tannin on one wine. I'm happy
> with the results but don't have a untreated wine
> to compare so can't say for sure how much of a
> difference the tannins make. Supra is used to
> make the colour more stable so that one is even
> trickier to evaluate, with Grand Cru you have
> basically a finished wine so you can play with
> it with more precision, maybe add it in stages
> or do a split batch to compare. The
> only "danger" I can see is that it's easy to
> become addicted to all the new tricks out there
> and start using them as a golden hammer... kinda
> like what you said in another thread on the new
> oak.
>
> Pp

I agree, if not careful, it could become a matter
of habit.

When I talked to Scott Labs I was looking for a
way to treat a wine I made that had a small
percentage of unripe Cabernet Sauvignon which
resulted in an "earthy" or "Bell Pepper" aroma?
I am not too good at using descriptors.

I thought some type of gelatin fining might help
and I was surprised to learn that the right
tannins may help somewhat and that is what got me
investigating the samples they sent.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread

BTW, thanks a lot for the BC Winery information.
We plan on going out there in August '08

Paul

Not exactly Penzey's tasting labs... notbob General Cooking 5 10-10-2006 04:57 PM
Tannin from Scott Laboratories [email protected] Winemaking 0 20-09-2006 01:39 AM
White Labs Yeast Lou Winemaking 1 19-10-2005 01:07 PM
Oak, tannin and what else? atrebla2 Winemaking 14 02-03-2004 02:15 PM
Oak, tannin and what else? atrebla2 Winemaking 1 02-03-2004 06:05 AM