Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default SUPER fast ferment and clear?

Hey folks,

Haven't posted here in a few years... since 2004 I think. I've been
making wine since 2000, and for the very first time I harvested a very
modest crop, about 10 lbs, of Leon Millot grapes from the solitary
vine in my backyard. I'm writing to see if anyone has experienced
what I have...

The must was at about 1.080 SG and fermented to 1.000 in only two (2)
days. I racked from primary to a gallon jug, and when I checked it
today - exactly two weeks (14 days) from crush - it's almost perfectly
clear and a nice dark red color.

So soon!?!?

I plan to bottle after cold stabilizing once the winter hits, and
since I'll only get 3-4 bottles I'll certainly drink it young. But
I'm sure I could drink this stuff even NOW, which is unprecedented in
my experience. How about others here?

Regards
Roger
Quinta Do Placer
(formerly "ninevines" on this group)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

rpguitar wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Haven't posted here in a few years... since 2004
> I think. I've been making wine since 2000, and
> for the very first time I harvested a very
> modest crop, about 10 lbs, of Leon Millot grapes
> from the solitary
> vine in my backyard. I'm writing to see if
> anyone has experienced what I have...
>
> The must was at about 1.080 SG and fermented to
> 1.000 in only two (2)
> days. I racked from primary to a gallon jug,
> and when I checked it today - exactly two weeks
> (14 days) from crush - it's almost perfectly
> clear and a nice dark red color.
>
> So soon!?!?
>
> I plan to bottle after cold stabilizing once the
> winter hits, and
> since I'll only get 3-4 bottles I'll certainly
> drink it young. But I'm sure I could drink this
> stuff even NOW, which is unprecedented in
> my experience. How about others here?
>
> Regards
> Roger
> Quinta Do Placer
> (formerly "ninevines" on this group)

I suggest planting more vines.

If it taste good to you and you only have 3-4
bottles - well - drink up and maybe save a split
for next year.

You didn't say and perhaps don't know what the TA
and pH of the wine is but if the pH is kinda
sorta high it ain't going to keep anyhow unless
you sulphite and even that does not necessarily
mean it will taste better in the future.

I am sure there are some out there that have
experince with the variety - I don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I suggest planting more vines.

Yes... I had a bunch of Vignoles but they didn't bear fruit in the
partial sun where the vines grow. The Leon Millot is VERY aggressive
on the other hand. To be honest, the viable crop was a surprise as I
wasn't even really planning to make wine this year.