reply@grouponly

Default How clear is CLEAR ? ( Nervous Newbie Asks)

Greetings,

Fall is 'a coming in - Hope all are well. I haven't posted in
allmost 2 weeks while waiting for my 1st batch/kit to clear. I
could've checked as early as 09-09, but waited until today.
I'd like some imput from the NG on moving on to the 2nd Racking
vs. leaving it in the 6gal Carboy for a few more days.

Kit instructions said wait 8 days, check for clarity, wait 7
more if not yet clear. I took enough of a sample to have a glass and
do some measurements as well. S.G. and Brix are unchanged
from readings at time of "Stabilizing" (meta, fining, stir,etc. )
Well, it sure looks like wine ! Taste is good but kinda harsh not
too smooth, but definitely Burgundy - This is normal I think. Now
on examing a sm. sample in a tasting glass over a white paper
towel under room light it seemed pretty clear and I was thinking
time to rack into the 5gal carboy with leftover into a few bottles.
Then I put a strong flashlight right under it and saw a fair amount
of "floaters". Not so much tons of sediment as I've seen in the dregs
of some wine bottles and more like I'd poured the sample in a dusty
glass and gotten some in the wine. (I did rinse the glass prior).
So,.... Is it ready or should I leave it be another 5-7 days ?

I guess it won't hurt to err on the side of caution - Part of what I'm
asking is also - How clear is clear ?

Thanks,

Andrew

P.S. The kit says when clear, bottle. I'm changing that per others
advice to - when clear, rack again and reserve a few bottles
to taste periodically - then bottle when seems wine is right.
Stephen SG

? how clear is clear ¿,
If you are unable to see an haze and it looks crystal clear.
Then it is clear.
Stephen SG