Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default First crush of the season

Tuesday morning bright and early took off at o-dark thirty to pick up
a quarter ton of ripe and ready Viognier from a vineyard in the Fair
Play region. Grapes were in excellent condition, and a few hours later
were crushed, pressed, sulfited, and awaiting some yeast.

Numbers;
Brix (refractometer - adjusted for temp): 25.5
Brix - hydrometer - adjusted for temp): 26
pH - 3.45
TA - 6.6 g/L

Wow. Acid OK, but them are some big sugar numbers - guess I need to
get ready for some heat!

Lalvin K1 V1116 culture was started at crush, and innoculated twice
during the day yesterday. Wine is in two 15.5 gal stainless kegs.

Will be making another pear wine this year, and have a half ton of red
grapes on order (500 each of Cabernet and Merlot).

Feels good to get the season underway - hope everyone is as thrilled
as I am that harvest and crush season are upon us again!

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 96 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I am looking forward to our delivery of grapes and juice this year from the
Central Valley (yes, prices!) to Athens, GA.

I hope our reds have similar PAs; our whites, lower. I want the group to
feel happy about the wine coming out of our new bladder press.

I think we still have 2-3 weeks depending on region for harvest, but cheers
to everyone getting their equipment ready!

Patrick

Am glad to see some prelim. press numbers
"AxisOfBeagles" > wrote in message
> Tuesday morning bright and early took off at o-dark thirty to pick up
> a quarter ton of ripe and ready Viognier from a vineyard in the Fair
> Play region. Grapes were in excellent condition, and a few hours later
> were crushed, pressed, sulfited, and awaiting some yeast.
>
> Numbers;
> Brix (refractometer - adjusted for temp): 25.5
> Brix - hydrometer - adjusted for temp): 26
> pH - 3.45
> TA - 6.6 g/L
>
> Wow. Acid OK, but them are some big sugar numbers - guess I need to
> get ready for some heat!
>
> Lalvin K1 V1116 culture was started at crush, and innoculated twice
> during the day yesterday. Wine is in two 15.5 gal stainless kegs.
>

> Will be making another pear wine this year, and have a half ton of red
> grapes on order (500 each of Cabernet and Merlot).
>
> Feels good to get the season underway - hope everyone is as thrilled
> as I am that harvest and crush season are upon us again!
>
> --
> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 96 days.
> You should really try it!
> http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"patrick mcdonald" > wrote in
message ...
>I am looking forward to our delivery of grapes and juice this year from the
>Central Valley (yes, prices!) to Athens, GA.

Where do you buy your juice?

Final "crush" of the season Ric Winemaking 0 06-10-2006 04:15 AM
Do I have all I need for Crush? EnoNut Winemaking 16 25-09-2006 06:38 PM
First crush Ric Winemaking 7 05-09-2006 06:04 PM
Dalmatian tourist season late, growing season full-on johnjgoddard.com General Cooking 3 07-07-2006 06:23 PM
To crush or not to crush, that is the question Leo Bueno Wine 3 12-12-2004 08:04 PM