Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default plum recipie analysis (my plums are ripe!!!!)

been casualy picking plums for the past two days and did some
weighing.

the reciepies i see call for 3-6 pounds of plums PER gallon, then up
to 3/4 of a gallon of water

with what i've been seeing, this comes out to 1/5 gallons.

whose math is wrong?!?!

(current estimates show i have enough plums to ruin 200 bottles of
wine)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Aug 27, 2:40 pm, Tater > wrote:
> been casualy picking plums for the past two days and did some
> weighing.
>
> the reciepies i see call for 3-6 pounds of plums PER gallon, then up
> to 3/4 of a gallon of water
>
> with what i've been seeing, this comes out to 1/5 gallons.
>
> whose math is wrong?!?!
>
> (current estimates show i have enough plums to ruin 200 bottles of
> wine)

I'd say your math - how do you get 1/5 gal with 3-6 lbs of plums + 3/4
gal of water??

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Here's last years plum which went into into a port.

25llbs. Prune Plums, Pitted and Frozen
Plum juice prior to dilution Brix 22.5, TA 0.06%
3tsp DAP
4 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp Kmeta
1/2 lbs. Cracked 10L Malt (from Berry or Bravery?)
1/2 lbs. Golden Rasins
2 gal of water (for a total ~5 gallons must
which ended up 3 gallons of wine plus ~3L for topping off.)
1/2oz toasted oak chips (port!)
Sugar to 1.090SG
Priemer Cuvee Yeast

Wine was racked off the skins at 1.012SG and additional sugar fed over
the next month to increase abv.

I think taking it off the skins after you get some color and a little
sweetness to it will go a long way to easing any harsh tannins or
tartness you migh get from plum skins.

Have 60lbs this year so will shoot for the 6.5 gal jug!

'06 Wines Bottled (need the jugs):
5 gal Elderberry
7 gal Cab Sav
3 gal Pinot Noir
3 gal Zin/Petite Syrah field blend (tribute to classic CA wines)
3gal Chardonay/Pinot Blanc field blend (won't do that again!)

Still to bottle when I get done fiddling with them:
5gal Gewerztraminer (sp?)
3gal Plum Port

Steve
Oregon

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:40:09 -0700, Tater > wrote:

>been casualy picking plums for the past two days and did some
>weighing.
>
>the reciepies i see call for 3-6 pounds of plums PER gallon, then up
>to 3/4 of a gallon of water
>
>with what i've been seeing, this comes out to 1/5 gallons.
>
>whose math is wrong?!?!
>
>(current estimates show i have enough plums to ruin 200 bottles of
>wine)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 28, 11:51 am, pp > wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2:40 pm, Tater > wrote:

> > the reciepies i see call for 3-6 pounds of plums PER gallon, then up
> > to 3/4 of a gallon of water

> I'd say your math - how do you get 1/5 gal with 3-6 lbs of plums + 3/4
> gal of water??
>
> Pp

nope thats my puncuation, should be 1.5 gallons

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Aug 29, 4:13 pm, Tater > wrote:
> On Aug 28, 11:51 am, pp > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 27, 2:40 pm, Tater > wrote:
> > > the reciepies i see call for 3-6 pounds of plums PER gallon, then up
> > > to 3/4 of a gallon of water

> > I'd say your math - how do you get 1/5 gal with 3-6 lbs of plums + 3/4
> > gal of water??

> > Pp

> nope thats my puncuation, should be 1.5 gallons

Well most of the plums will be solids, no? The original math assumes a
yield of ~1/4 gal of juice out of 3-6 lbs of plums, that seems pretty
reasonable to me, certainly more than additional 3/4 gal.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 29, 7:27 pm, pp > wrote:
> On Aug 29, 4:13 pm, Tater > wrote:

> > > I'd say your math - how do you get 1/5 gal with 3-6 lbs of plums + 3/4
> > > gal of water??

> > > Pp

> > nope thats my puncuation, should be 1.5 gallons

> Well most of the plums will be solids, no? The original math assumes a
> yield of ~1/4 gal of juice out of 3-6 lbs of plums, that seems pretty
> reasonable to me, certainly more than additional 3/4 gal.
>
> Pp

recipies call out for fruit to be added to primary, not just juice.
i'll guess that this is why I have a 10 gallon primary for a 6 gallon
secondary

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Aug 30, 4:33 pm, Tater > wrote:
> On Aug 29, 7:27 pm, pp > wrote:

> > > nope thats my puncuation, should be 1.5 gallons

> > Well most of the plums will be solids, no? The original math assumes a
> > yield of ~1/4 gal of juice out of 3-6 lbs of plums, that seems pretty
> > reasonable to me, certainly more than additional 3/4 gal.

> > Pp

> recipies call out for fruit to be added to primary, not just juice.
> i'll guess that this is why I have a 10 gallon primary for a 6 gallon
> secondary- Hide quoted text -

Yes but pretty much all fruit recipes I've seen give you the expected
resulting volume in terms of the finished wine - for example Jack's
recipes usually give you 1 gal of wine. You base the size of the
primary on that.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 31, 11:30 am, pp > wrote:
> On Aug 30, 4:33 pm, Tater > wrote:

> > > Well most of the plums will be solids, no? The original math assumes a
> > > yield of ~1/4 gal of juice out of 3-6 lbs of plums, that seems pretty
> > > reasonable to me, certainly more than additional 3/4 gal.

> > > Pp

> > recipies call out for fruit to be added to primary, not just juice.
> > i'll guess that this is why I have a 10 gallon primary for a 6 gallon
> > secondary- Hide quoted text -

> Yes but pretty much all fruit recipes I've seen give you the expected
> resulting volume in terms of the finished wine - for example Jack's
> recipes usually give you 1 gal of wine. You base the size of the
> primary on that.
>
> Pp- Hide quoted text -

ok then........that makes a bit more sense, although I dont see how
they could determine losses consistenly enough to be able to do that.
but i wont argue the point.

Fully ripe pineapple vs. barely ripe pineapple Manda Ruby General Cooking 15 26-11-2009 08:40 PM
how to test plum ripeness? (my plums are ripe!!!) Tater Winemaking 0 27-08-2007 10:42 PM
Plum jam and plum sauce George Shirley Preserving 2 04-08-2006 02:47 AM
must analysis LG1111 Winemaking 22 09-10-2003 08:29 PM
one more must analysis question LG1111 Winemaking 5 07-10-2003 10:35 AM