Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Cleaning Wine Bottles

Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
way?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

stained how?

"Randall Fisher" > wrote in message
> Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
> way?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Stained with red wine? Like in a film.

A bottle brush and a good cleaner. TSP works most of the time for me.
In extreme cases, soak in Diversol (pink powder) for a while (like
overnight) then brush.

Steve

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:50:58 GMT, "Randall Fisher"
> wrote:

>Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
>way?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 26, 2:48 am, Steve > wrote:
> Stained with red wine? Like in a film.
>
> A bottle brush and a good cleaner. TSP works most of the time for me.
> In extreme cases, soak in Diversol (pink powder) for a while (like
> overnight) then brush.
>
> Steve
>
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:50:58 GMT, "Randall Fisher"
>

> > wrote:
> >Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
> >way?- Hide quoted text -

A 10% bleach solution along with a brush also works.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

I agree for my money soak with bleach and water then rinse well.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:18:39 -0700, Joe Sallustio
> wrote:

>On Aug 26, 2:48 am, Steve > wrote:
>> Stained with red wine? Like in a film.
>>
>> A bottle brush and a good cleaner. TSP works most of the time for me.
>> In extreme cases, soak in Diversol (pink powder) for a while (like
>> overnight) then brush.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:50:58 GMT, "Randall Fisher"
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
>> >way?- Hide quoted text -

>A 10% bleach solution along with a brush also works.
>
>Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Randall Fisher wrote:
> Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the best
> way?

I use white vinegar and a small gauge stainless steel chain. Pour in
about a 1/2 to a cup of vinegar, top off with hot water, feed in the
chain. Pop in a used cork and swirl the chain until the stain is gone.
Pop out the cork and hold the bottle upside down swirling the chain
until the end of the chain sticks out the neck. Remove chain and rinse
bottle.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Chain? Like a bicycle chain? or light fixture chain? This sounds like a
good idea. Where did you get the stainless steel chain? hardward store?
just wondering. thanks. DAve

Steve wrote:
> Randall Fisher wrote:
>> Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the
>> best way?

> I use white vinegar and a small gauge stainless steel chain. Pour in
> about a 1/2 to a cup of vinegar, top off with hot water, feed in the
> chain. Pop in a used cork and swirl the chain until the stain is gone.
> Pop out the cork and hold the bottle upside down swirling the chain
> until the end of the chain sticks out the neck. Remove chain and rinse
> bottle.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I just use rocks. An earlier post suggested aquarium gravel.

A cheaper alternative is a quart of clean pit-run gravel, screened through
some 1/4" mesh hardware cloth to get rid of the fines, and screened again
through 1/2" cloth to eliminate the larger chunks. Wash it a couple of times
with soapy water in a bottle, rinse well, and it's ready to go to work.

Pour into the dirty bottle or carboy with 3 or 4 cups of water, a couple of
squirts of soap, slosh round and round, up and down, drain out into a sieve
when done. Really tough dirt gets soaked overnight - bottle full of water
with a few squirts of soap.

My only real challenge was a gallon jug with a rusty deposit. That one took
real work. Finally wired a steel wool pad onto the end of a coathangar to
get it all off.

And why go to all that work? that's my batch size, and the locals want 7
bucks each...... You may guess I have some Scottish ancestry....!

I dry the rocks on a paper towel when I've finished, and store them in a
recycled plastic peanut butter jar. It's quieter than a glass jar, and less
prone to breakage! Same storage for my top-up marbles.

Dave Allison wrote:

> Chain? Like a bicycle chain? or light fixture chain? This sounds like a
> good idea. Where did you get the stainless steel chain? hardward store?
> just wondering. thanks. DAve
>
> Steve wrote:
> > Randall Fisher wrote:
> >> Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the
> >> best way?

> > I use white vinegar and a small gauge stainless steel chain. Pour in
> > about a 1/2 to a cup of vinegar, top off with hot water, feed in the
> > chain. Pop in a used cork and swirl the chain until the stain is gone.
> > Pop out the cork and hold the bottle upside down swirling the chain
> > until the end of the chain sticks out the neck. Remove chain and rinse
> > bottle.
> >
> > Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sash Chain - http://www.kilianhardware.com/35stainsteel.html any
hardware store. I keep a 3 ft length in a drawer in the kitchen where I
rinse bottles. Works every time.

Steve

Dave Allison wrote:
> Chain? Like a bicycle chain? or light fixture chain? This sounds like a
> good idea. Where did you get the stainless steel chain? hardward store?
> just wondering. thanks. DAve
>
> Steve wrote:
>> Randall Fisher wrote:
>>> Can you clean wine bottles that have been stained? If so what is the
>>> best way?

>> I use white vinegar and a small gauge stainless steel chain. Pour in
>> about a 1/2 to a cup of vinegar, top off with hot water, feed in the
>> chain. Pop in a used cork and swirl the chain until the stain is gone.
>> Pop out the cork and hold the bottle upside down swirling the chain
>> until the end of the chain sticks out the neck. Remove chain and
>> rinse bottle.
>>
>> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Cool! Another good reason to go to the hardware store this weekend!
smile. DAve

Bottles for wine mobile Wine 2 16-11-2006 04:20 PM
Using beer bottles for Individual serving bottles of wine Brad Winemaking 17 21-06-2006 04:06 AM
"You can't put Old Wine in New Bottles " reply@grouponly Winemaking 20 24-09-2004 08:02 PM
Old bottles of wine GARY DAVIES Wine 6 26-04-2004 05:22 PM
Wine Bottles BooBoo Winemaking 15 06-01-2004 01:13 PM