GARY DAVIES

Default Old bottles of wine

I have come across some old bottles of wine.Can anyone tell me if
they are valuable.
There are 2 bottles of Chateau Latour:Appellation Pauillac and the
date is 1959

Then there is a bottle of Lafitte-Rothschild Appellation Pauillac
Date 1962

There is also a 1969 bottle of Domaine Jacques Prieur Appellation
Puligny-Montrachet.But as it is a white wine does that mean it has no
value?

Gary Davies,Connemara,Ireland
Peter v B

"GARY DAVIES" > schreef in bericht
om...
> I have come across some old bottles of wine.Can anyone tell me if
> they are valuable.
> There are 2 bottles of Chateau Latour:Appellation Pauillac and the
> date is 1959
>
> Then there is a bottle of Lafitte-Rothschild Appellation Pauillac
> Date 1962
>
> There is also a 1969 bottle of Domaine Jacques Prieur Appellation
> Puligny-Montrachet.But as it is a white wine does that mean it has no
> value?
>
> Gary Davies,Connemara,Ireland

The reads will be good not to say excellent. The 62 perhaps a bit old. The
white one will be very excellent. A beautiful year. When stocked well no
problem. The price ???? Taste it and make an estimation
Greatings Peter

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi GARY DAVIES,

le/on 24 Apr 2004 09:36:32 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>I have come across some old bottles of wine.Can anyone tell me if
>they are valuable.
>There are 2 bottles of Chateau Latour:Appellation Pauillac and the
>date is 1959

What a _pity_ it isn't Ch Mouton-Rothschild. That's about the best red I've
ever drunk. '59 was a very great year, but is getting old now. The 1st
growth Latour '59 could be a truly phenomenal bottle. It all depends upon
how it was stored. If you don't know, and can't guarantee good "provenance"
you may be able to sell them but for much less.

>Then there is a bottle of Lafitte-Rothschild Appellation Pauillac
>Date 1962

'62 was an excellent year, and would have had a wonderful reputation had it
not been preceded by 1961, which is a vintage of myth. Lafite-Rothschild as
another 1st growth but I suspect this would be a little over the top. check
on Christie's web site to get an idea of the value of these wines.

>There is also a 1969 bottle of Domaine Jacques Prieur Appellation
>Puligny-Montrachet.But as it is a white wine does that mean it has no
>value?

No, it doesn't mean that. 1969 was a very great year in Burgundy, and white
burgundies keep a long time. Domaine Jacques Prieur is a top notch producer.
So far so good. However, it's a village wine, not one from a specific great
vineyard, so may not have survived as well as if it had been. I'd call this
one a "pig in a poke". It might be dead, or it might be wonderful. I don't
think it's valueless, though I'd not expect it to fetch anything like as
much as the stellar Latour and the wonderful (in its day) Lafite.

You've got some fascinating drinking ahead of you... it would be TOO sad to
sell them.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Bill Spohn

>What a _pity_ it isn't Ch Mouton-Rothschild. That's about the best red I've
>ever drunk. '59 was a very great year, but is getting old now.

Depends on cellaring, of course.

I had the 59 Montrose and 59 Margaux 3 or 4 years ago - magnificent!

>Lafite-Rothschild as
>another 1st growth but I suspect this would be a little over the top.

62 Lafite is getting on a bit - the Latour is magnifique!

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,

le/on 24 Apr 2004 22:07:11 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>What a _pity_ it isn't Ch Mouton-Rothschild. That's about the best red I've
>>ever drunk. '59 was a very great year, but is getting old now.

>Depends on cellaring, of course.

Of course.

>I had the 59 Montrose and 59 Margaux 3 or 4 years ago - magnificent!

Sigh... BIG sigh.

>>Lafite-Rothschild as >another 1st growth but I suspect this would be a little over the top.

>62 Lafite is getting on a bit - the Latour is magnifique!

Thanks for amplifying.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
GARY DAVIES

Thanks to you all.I am sorry to disappoint you but I will surely be
looking to sell these bottles as I am not an oenophile to that
extent!

Bottles for wine mobile Wine 2 16-11-2006 05:20 PM
Using beer bottles for Individual serving bottles of wine Brad Winemaking 17 21-06-2006 04:06 AM
wine bottles Al Margita Winemaking 1 20-09-2005 10:48 PM
"You can't put Old Wine in New Bottles " reply@grouponly Winemaking 20 24-09-2004 08:02 PM
Wine Bottles BooBoo Winemaking 15 06-01-2004 02:13 PM