Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Making Brandy in New Zealand

A relative who lives in New Zealand came back to the States
for the holidays. He has been making Vodka in NZ and wants
to make Brandy.

He asked me "What is the best type of wine for making Brandy?"

Other than telling him to use a wine he made rather than one
he purchased, I don't know. Does anyone know?

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

AFAIK, the starting point are usually pretty neutral, acidic white
varieties - the main one in Cognac, for example, is Ugni Blanc aka
Trebbiano in Italy. These are cheap too so that works well for home
winemakers. I am not sure if he can get something similar in NZ though.
In any case, it doesn't really matter that much because no matter what
he starts with, he'll have a grape spirit after distillation, so closer
to vodka than brandy. His main issue is getting the colour and flavour
- these mostly come from oak aging and added flavourings like caramel,
not from the grapes. Basically, the problem is converting grappa into
brandy.

Pp

New Zealand lleichtman Wine 6 15-05-2012 05:40 PM
[FAQ] 3t. New Zealand? Mark Lipton Wine 0 19-10-2006 05:20 AM
[FAQ] 3? New Zealand st.helier Wine 3 13-10-2006 03:32 AM
zombie - apricot brandy, or brandy liqueur? Mike General 0 17-04-2004 07:30 PM
Brandy rec for liqueur-making? Evan General 11 29-02-2004 03:14 AM