Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default heating belt height in carboy

Got me a heating belt recently. The instructions say to girdle the
carboy with it one third down from the top. I see that when I do that
the only significant heating effect I can feel is in the must above
that level, the other two thirds hasnt seemed much warmed to the touch
(glass six gallon carboy)

My question is: is there a good rationale for that positioning to
anyones knowledge, or should I put it nearer the bottom to warm more
must through?

I can see maybe an argument that I might cook the lees if it is too
low, but would that even be a problem issue?

Thanks all for all your help this year

Seasons greetings.

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
guy guy is offline

I put my heating belts about 2/3 down from the top as heat rises, and
it works fine.
HTH,
Guy

The Jello Belt Mark Thorson General Cooking 8 10-03-2007 07:32 PM
Guinness Draught Details::Height of Head Bryan Griffin Beer 5 07-01-2007 12:21 PM
Brew belt Joseph Toubes Winemaking 0 13-12-2005 04:17 AM
Counter top height? Don Wiss Cooking Equipment 5 05-10-2005 01:20 PM
Offset grate height ? Kevin Barbecue 7 15-07-2004 11:45 PM