Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default electric filter pumps

I currently use a Vinbrite drip filter. I've added part
of a racking cane to it so the wine doesn't splash
down into the carboy I'm filtering into. I'm thinking
about connecting a few hoses together so I can
get more head over a flight of stairs.

Anyway, one problem has always been if there is
a slight cloudiness to the wine the filter can quickly
clog up. I don't want to spend the cash for one of
those Buon Vino Minijets but every now and then
II kinda wish I had one. Do these filters have
the ability to handle more floating particulate?

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I think that every filter manufacturer (including Buon Vino) will tell
you that you MUST wait until the wine is clear before you filter it or
else bad things will happen, like the pump will start spraying wine all
over the place. So my humble opinion is that you should be more
patient, leave the wine in bulk aging for several more months, and then
use your Vinbrite filter. By the way, I have one and I used it once and
I was very happy with the performance.

wrote:
> I currently use a Vinbrite drip filter. I've added part
> of a racking cane to it so the wine doesn't splash
> down into the carboy I'm filtering into. I'm thinking
> about connecting a few hoses together so I can
> get more head over a flight of stairs.
>
> Anyway, one problem has always been if there is
> a slight cloudiness to the wine the filter can quickly
> clog up. I don't want to spend the cash for one of
> those Buon Vino Minijets but every now and then
> II kinda wish I had one. Do these filters have
> the ability to handle more floating particulate?
>
> Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Franco wrote:
> I think that every filter manufacturer (including Buon Vino) will tell
> you that you MUST wait until the wine is clear before you filter it or
> else bad things will happen, like the pump will start spraying wine all
> over the place. So my humble opinion is that you should be more
> patient, leave the wine in bulk aging for several more months, and then
> use your Vinbrite filter. By the way, I have one and I used it once and
> I was very happy with the performance.
>
> wrote:
>> I currently use a Vinbrite drip filter. I've added part
>> of a racking cane to it so the wine doesn't splash
>> down into the carboy I'm filtering into. I'm thinking
>> about connecting a few hoses together so I can
>> get more head over a flight of stairs.
>>
>> Anyway, one problem has always been if there is
>> a slight cloudiness to the wine the filter can quickly
>> clog up. I don't want to spend the cash for one of
>> those Buon Vino Minijets but every now and then
>> II kinda wish I had one. Do these filters have
>> the ability to handle more floating particulate?
>>
>> Don

I may be lucky the place I buy my kits/equipt. also rents mini jets.
Check with your local suppliers.

Brian
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The cost is negligble over the course of the life of the pump. You
could buy a beer pump rated for up to 20 psig and it would probably
last longer than your interest in the hobby- not counting seal
replacements.

More 'head' may no translate to any advantage to you because you have
wall resistance from the tubing. Small diameter tubing greatly
increases the flow resistance, which results in less available head
pressure to pump. Consider going to a larger tubing diameter.

Or just buy a canister filtration system that can be sterilized and
cleaned- they last forever

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

are you refering to an aquarium type filter?

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> The cost is negligble over the course of the life of the pump. You
> could buy a beer pump rated for up to 20 psig and it would probably
> last longer than your interest in the hobby- not counting seal
> replacements.
>
> More 'head' may no translate to any advantage to you because you have
> wall resistance from the tubing. Small diameter tubing greatly
> increases the flow resistance, which results in less available head
> pressure to pump. Consider going to a larger tubing diameter.
>
> Or just buy a canister filtration system that can be sterilized and
> cleaned- they last forever

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

ACK! no. Nononono. Don't use an aquarium filter!

Maybe this (1/25th HP isn't strong)
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/march1.jpg

or this http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/wi-filter.html

I don't have time to look for all of them but there's a few that you
can use to push fluids and are sterile/safe.

bobdrob wrote:
> are you refering to an aquarium type filter?
>

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > The cost is negligble over the course of the life of the pump. You
> > could buy a beer pump rated for up to 20 psig and it would probably
> > last longer than your interest in the hobby- not counting seal
> > replacements.
> >
> > More 'head' may no translate to any advantage to you because you have
> > wall resistance from the tubing. Small diameter tubing greatly
> > increases the flow resistance, which results in less available head
> > pressure to pump. Consider going to a larger tubing diameter.
> >
> > Or just buy a canister filtration system that can be sterilized and
> > cleaned- they last forever

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> ACK! no. Nononono. Don't use an aquarium filter!
>
> Maybe this (1/25th HP isn't strong)
> http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/march1.jpg
>
> or this http://shop.piwine.com/shopsite/prwc/wi-filter.html

These seem pretty expensive compared to a Boun Vino
which sells for $125 Cdn... and I'm balking at that.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> More 'head' may no translate to any advantage to you because you have
> wall resistance from the tubing. Small diameter tubing greatly
> increases the flow resistance, which results in less available head
> pressure to pump. Consider going to a larger tubing diameter.

Do you really think wall resistance is an issue in
1/4" ID tubing at the flow rates we talking about here?
I could go to the next size up 3/8"? but I'm just not
sure it's an issue.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Don,
I have a mini-jet and it's not the greatest pump but it does work as
intended. Musca.com has it on sale a few time a year too. The
advantage it will give you is more surface area for filtering, it has 3
plates that are exposed to the wine.

I would fine first, filtering is not a substitute for that. Adding
more head pressure to a filter will eventually end up reaching a point
of diminishing returns; once it's plugged, it's plugged.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> I have a mini-jet and it's not the greatest pump but it does work as
> intended. Musca.com has it on sale a few time a year too. The
> advantage it will give you is more surface area for filtering, it has 3
> plates that are exposed to the wine.
>
> I would fine first, filtering is not a substitute for that. Adding
> more head pressure to a filter will eventually end up reaching a point
> of diminishing returns; once it's plugged, it's plugged.

Joe,
What did you pay for it at Musca?

I don't want to substitue it for fining but I was
thinking the minijet might buy me that last
month that some of my wines are taking to
fall clear.

The other possibility is a bit more head on
the drip filter which I'm considering doing
anyway because it's taking about 45+ min
with a clear wine.

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Errr, no, not for any short length of pipe. I was commenting that if
you really did put your carboy on the 2nd floor and ran 1/4 ID tubing
down to the basement that you'd lose so much pressure due to wall
losses that it would be rather pointless. I suppose if I get bored
this weekend I could find the chart that provides a rough estimate for
PSI loss per foot of tubing...

Jason

wrote:
> > More 'head' may no translate to any advantage to you because you have
> > wall resistance from the tubing. Small diameter tubing greatly
> > increases the flow resistance, which results in less available head
> > pressure to pump. Consider going to a larger tubing diameter.

> Do you really think wall resistance is an issue in
> 1/4" ID tubing at the flow rates we talking about here?
> I could go to the next size up 3/8"? but I'm just not
> sure it's an issue.
>
> Don

Where to get ceramic Bonmac filter cone for #2 filter Mister Fish Coffee 1 15-09-2011 10:44 AM
Pumps Roy Boy Cooking Equipment 5 02-04-2011 02:32 PM
Buon Vino Mini Jet Electric Wine Filter Tom Winemaking 5 14-01-2007 01:22 AM
FS: Spadoni Lees Filter & Combine Filter [email protected] Winemaking 0 10-06-2005 02:21 AM
pumps Charles H Winemaking 6 29-10-2003 03:37 PM