Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Sweetening with honey or sugar

Hello,

I have a wine sweetening spreadsheet for sweetening wine with sugar. It
take the specific gravity of a wine and calculates the amount of sugar you
need to add at botteling to obtain a certain SG or sweetness. My question
is how much honey is needed to obtain the same results as sugar. For
example, just for arguments sake, how much honey would be required to obtain
the same sweetness as 1 pound of sugar? If I knew this I could also have
the spread sheet calculate the amount of honey needed to obtain a certain
sweetness. I did not create the spreadsheet but have been trying to
customize it for my needs. Thanks!!

-- Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Oct 9, 11:57 pm, "Eric P." > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a wine sweetening spreadsheet for sweetening wine with sugar. It
> take the specific gravity of a wine and calculates the amount of sugar you
> need to add at botteling to obtain a certain SG or sweetness. My question
> is how much honey is needed to obtain the same results as sugar. For
> example, just for arguments sake, how much honey would be required to obtain
> the same sweetness as 1 pound of sugar? If I knew this I could also have
> the spread sheet calculate the amount of honey needed to obtain a certain
> sweetness. I did not create the spreadsheet but have been trying to
> customize it for my needs. Thanks!!

Googled "sweetness of honey" and got a document with this:

On the average honey is 1 to 1.5 times sweeter (on a dry weight basis)
than sugar. Liquid honey isapproximately as sweet as sugar,

Here's the full article:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ct=clnk&cd =2

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

I haven't ventured into the realms of honey sweetening yet. Perhaps the effects are different after fermentation. When
putting a must together Terry Garey's book suggests using the same weight of honey as you would sugar (when using light
honey) or a bit more if using dark honey.

I am interested to hear if the effect for fermentation is different to the sweetening effect post fermentation.

Jim

For example, where Garey suggests
"pp" > wrote in message oups.com...

> On Oct 9, 11:57 pm, "Eric P." > wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a wine sweetening spreadsheet for sweetening wine with sugar. It
>> take the specific gravity of a wine and calculates the amount of sugar you
>> need to add at botteling to obtain a certain SG or sweetness. My question
>> is how much honey is needed to obtain the same results as sugar. For
>> example, just for arguments sake, how much honey would be required to obtain
>> the same sweetness as 1 pound of sugar? If I knew this I could also have
>> the spread sheet calculate the amount of honey needed to obtain a certain
>> sweetness. I did not create the spreadsheet but have been trying to
>> customize it for my needs. Thanks!!

> Googled "sweetness of honey" and got a document with this:
>
> On the average honey is 1 to 1.5 times sweeter (on a dry weight basis)
> than sugar. Liquid honey isapproximately as sweet as sugar,
>
> Here's the full article:
>
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ct=clnk&cd =2
>
> Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I also have not used honey. In fact, after reading it was bee-spit, I
have taken honey off my list. Maple Syrup is my sweetener for cooking,
teas. Not sure I'd use it for wine sweetening, anyone ever use it?

DAve

jim wrote:
> I haven't ventured into the realms of honey sweetening yet. Perhaps the effects are different after fermentation. When
> putting a must together Terry Garey's book suggests using the same weight of honey as you would sugar (when using light
> honey) or a bit more if using dark honey.
>
> I am interested to hear if the effect for fermentation is different to the sweetening effect post fermentation.
>
> Jim
>
> For example, where Garey suggests
> "pp" > wrote in message oups.com...
>>
>> On Oct 9, 11:57 pm, "Eric P." > wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a wine sweetening spreadsheet for sweetening wine with sugar. It
>>> take the specific gravity of a wine and calculates the amount of sugar you
>>> need to add at botteling to obtain a certain SG or sweetness. My question
>>> is how much honey is needed to obtain the same results as sugar. For
>>> example, just for arguments sake, how much honey would be required to obtain
>>> the same sweetness as 1 pound of sugar? If I knew this I could also have
>>> the spread sheet calculate the amount of honey needed to obtain a certain
>>> sweetness. I did not create the spreadsheet but have been trying to
>>> customize it for my needs. Thanks!!

>> Googled "sweetness of honey" and got a document with this:
>>
>> On the average honey is 1 to 1.5 times sweeter (on a dry weight basis)
>> than sugar. Liquid honey isapproximately as sweet as sugar,
>>
>> Here's the full article:
>>
>> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ct=clnk&cd =2
>>
>> Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Oct 11, 2:07 pm, Dave Allison > wrote:
> I also have not used honey. In fact, after reading it was bee-spit, I
> have taken honey off my list. Maple Syrup is my sweetener for cooking,
> teas. Not sure I'd use it for wine sweetening, anyone ever use it?

There is a commercial winery here in BC that uses maple syrup for
sweetening of some wines - big success with tourists in duty-free
shops... at least it used to be when they could take liquids on the
plane.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The good old days. sigh.
DA

pp wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2:07 pm, Dave Allison > wrote:
>> I also have not used honey. In fact, after reading it was bee-spit, I
>> have taken honey off my list. Maple Syrup is my sweetener for cooking,
>> teas. Not sure I'd use it for wine sweetening, anyone ever use it?
>>

> There is a commercial winery here in BC that uses maple syrup for
> sweetening of some wines - big success with tourists in duty-free
> shops... at least it used to be when they could take liquids on the
> plane.
>
> Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Eric P. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a wine sweetening spreadsheet for sweetening wine with sugar. It
> take the specific gravity of a wine and calculates the amount of sugar you
> need to add at botteling to obtain a certain SG or sweetness. My question
> is how much honey is needed to obtain the same results as sugar. For
> example, just for arguments sake, how much honey would be required to obtain
> the same sweetness as 1 pound of sugar? If I knew this I could also have
> the spread sheet calculate the amount of honey needed to obtain a certain
> sweetness. I did not create the spreadsheet but have been trying to
> customize it for my needs. Thanks!!
>
> -- Eric

Sweetening a finished wine with honey Lee[_11_] Winemaking 2 27-09-2007 07:38 AM
Honey Instead of Sugar Paul E. Lehmann Winemaking 3 10-07-2006 04:21 AM
sweetening wine ..without sugar Peter STEVENS Winemaking 7 24-10-2005 01:23 AM
Sugar to honey Bob General Cooking 2 13-09-2005 06:39 PM
Tea with Milk and Sugar (or Honey, Lemon, et·cet·er·a and so forth... Steve Johnsenson General 14 01-09-2005 11:55 PM