Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Adding Oak

I have 15 gallon demijohns I will be putting oak chips into. I have
four of them, so I figure that I'll try some different toasts and
steeping durations. I have some thoughts on what I'll do, but I
figured that I'd check in with the board to see if there is anyone out
there that has anything interesting to try, or reccomendations for my
Cab.
marco

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Marco-

I use StaVin oak cubes. Someone in this group turned me onto them and
I've liked the flavour and ease of use (as opposed to chips which clog
my pump motor). They have a few different toasts (Medium, Medium +,
and heavy (I think)) and are reasonably priced at 10$/lb in bulk
(American Oak). French is 2.4x that cost.

I used the middle of the ground dosing regime for my cab- it's weak as
it wasn't fermented on the skins, but the aroma is exactly what I was
looking for.

Jason

Adding Acid Wayne Harris Winemaking 17 22-03-2008 11:22 PM
Adding Oak Wayne Harris Winemaking 10 22-02-2008 01:58 AM
%TA not adding up? Greg Winemaking 2 03-02-2006 05:13 AM
Adding Oak? Gerald Todd Winemaking 3 27-01-2005 07:15 PM