Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

Default Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench

Hi:

In the following experiment, I take one of the dryest types of French
white wine that -- of all the French white wines -- is also aged the
most [whatever this wine is]. I place this wine in a magical container
that protects the wine from any and all defects excluding non-acidic
bacterial decomposition. IOW, the only degradation this wine suffer is
that caused by anaerobic bacteria [excluding acetic acid bacteria and
lactic acid bacteria]. The wine container is then filled with these
bacteria. The bacteria initially break down all organic compounds in
the wine -- excluding ethanol -- and then produce waste products. After
this, a seperate bacterium -- Clostridium kluyveri -- is introduced
into the wine. Clostridium kluyveri is allowed to feed on 50% of the
ethanol in the wine by the following chemical equation:

Ethanol + Acetate + CO2 --> Caproate + Butyrate + H2

Once the above process is finished, any and all sulfides are removed
from the wine. This removes the "rotten egg" odor from the wine that
results from the anaerobes feeding on proteins initially present in the
wine. After this, any chemicals that are do not have odors or do not
affect odors are removed.

AFAIK, the caproate smells like goat-sweat, and butyrate smells like
rancid butter.

What else would my wine smell like?

Thanks,

Radium

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology

Radium wrote:
> Hi:
>
> In the following experiment, I take one of the dryest types of French
> white wine that -- of all the French white wines -- is also aged the
> most [whatever this wine is]. I place this wine in a magical container
> that protects the wine from any and all defects excluding non-acidic
> bacterial decomposition. IOW, the only degradation this wine suffer is
> that caused by anaerobic bacteria [excluding acetic acid bacteria and
> lactic acid bacteria]. The wine container is then filled with these
> bacteria. The bacteria initially break down all organic compounds in
> the wine -- excluding ethanol -- and then produce waste products. After
> this, a seperate bacterium -- Clostridium kluyveri -- is introduced
> into the wine. Clostridium kluyveri is allowed to feed on 50% of the
> ethanol in the wine by the following chemical equation:
>
> Ethanol + Acetate + CO2 --> Caproate + Butyrate + H2
>
> Once the above process is finished, any and all sulfides are removed
> from the wine. This removes the "rotten egg" odor from the wine that
> results from the anaerobes feeding on proteins initially present in the
> wine.

> After this, any chemicals that are do not have odors or do not
> affect odors are removed.

Well, water is also NOT removed!

> AFAIK, the caproate smells like goat-sweat, and butyrate smells like
> rancid butter.
>
> What else would my wine smell like?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Radium

Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,sci.bio.microbiology
N10 N10 is offline

"Radium" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Radium wrote:
>> Hi:

snip

There are no magical containers in existence of the type you mention.

Plus your a troll. This statement is easily verified by anyone who cares to
check alt.music.midi.

N10