Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 97 Brunello di Montalcino

My wife and I have several bottles of a '97 Brunello di Montelcino and one
'95 Brunello.

I was told when I bought them in 2001 that I would do well to hold them. My
question is this. Should I consider opening them now or will waiting hurt
them.

I had a bad experience with an '86 Brunello by holding it too long. Just
want to be sure.

Thanks,

Randell Tarin

P.S. Going back to Montalcino this Fall!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Since you have several bottles of the 97, try one and see if it is ready.
Just drink the 95.

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> My wife and I have several bottles of a '97 Brunello di Montelcino and one
> '95 Brunello.
>
> I was told when I bought them in 2001 that I would do well to hold them.
> My
> question is this. Should I consider opening them now or will waiting hurt
> them.
>
> I had a bad experience with an '86 Brunello by holding it too long. Just
> want to be sure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randell Tarin
>
> P.S. Going back to Montalcino this Fall!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Who's the producer? It really makes a difference. A more backward
traditional wine is probably not ready, while a more forward modern
Brunello might be open.

But, if forced into generalities, I'd say that most '97 Brunellos need
a couple more years. It's a ripe forward year, but most should be
drinking nicely at 10-12.

As to the '95, unless you know it's a producer that makes his wines in
a backwards style, I'd pop that sucker. I drank my last '95s a year or
two ago, drinking well (but they were from fairly modern producers).