Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1997 Vitanza Brunello di Montalcino

We had our first eggplant from the garden last night so my wife made eggplant parmigiano (aubergine to the European folks) with pasta and marinara sauce. I opened a bottle of 1997 Vitanza Brunello di Montalcino. The wine was still quite dark purple with very little hint of age. Fresh mushrooms, black earth and back fruits on the nose. Smooth and supple with well resolved tannins. Layers of flavors, black berry, black cherry, a bit of espresso, currants, a slight cedar note, all the good things that come with age yet a firm streak of fresh berry/cherry flavors at the core. Pretty nice bottle. B+/A-