Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1965 Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon

Hi all,

A friend of mine has given us a bottle of the above (as well as a 1978
Pichon Lalande and a 1982 Chateau Gloria).

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the 1965. Looks like
it was well stored, color is good and it has a medium shoulder fill.

When we open it I told him we'd have a backup of something else and if it's
still sound I imagine it would have to be drunk quickly.

Thanks.

Joe

Posted to alt.food.wine

The old Signet Book of Wine by Father Henriques gave the wine 4* in 1975
saying it was not ready yet. It should be now---Pre 1970 cabs from Martini
are gems. Before everyone & their mother with ca$h or lines of credit
started buying up North Coast land, Martini besides their own vineyards had
a long list of vineyards they could use. Also the cash flow winemaking
mentality was not a consideration and the Martini family was not afraid of
tannins or age.

Since the wine is 41 years old, you should get some pecorino romano and
enjoy that sucker!
"Joe Giorgianni" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine has given us a bottle of the above (as well as a 1978
> Pichon Lalande and a 1982 Chateau Gloria).
>
> Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the 1965. Looks like
> it was well stored, color is good and it has a medium shoulder fill.
>
> When we open it I told him we'd have a backup of something else and if

it's
> still sound I imagine it would have to be drunk quickly.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

Posted to alt.food.wine

All of those wines need drinking up - what time shall I get there?

Mature wines with a very decent chance of being quite good if well
cellared (I have cellared both the other two - still have one of the
Gloria.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I'm jealous. when my grandfather passed away in '83, we ended up with a
case of '68 & '69 Martini Cabs. We drank them over time in the mid to
late '90's. A couple were ruined because of poor corks - a phenomenon
that, I am told, was not uncommon. The others were wonderful.

Enjoy!

Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 Napa vs 2011 Alexander Valley? Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 17-09-2015 08:14 PM
2010 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 28-08-2015 07:59 PM
Cabernet Sauvignon Retta Wine 0 02-07-2010 02:10 AM
Cabernet Sauvignon Kits? crhoff Winemaking 0 17-08-2006 12:34 PM
90% Merlot & 10% Cabernet Sauvignon PATRICK.JOUVENEL Winemaking 0 05-04-2005 05:20 PM