Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings

Friday we went up to Tarrytown for their "3rd Friday" events. We had an
early dinner, as a friend was playing guitar in a band playing the
later show on the street. We went to Chiboust, a nice bistro/bakery
with a reasonable ($15) corkage fee. Betsy got steak, and I got duck
cassoulet, which went very well with the 1996 Domaine Roux Père et
Fils "Les Beaux Monts" Vosne-Romanée. Timing can always be an issue
with Burgs, and I was worried for a while. This opened with a rather
intense berry/cherry & floral nose, then seemed to shut down after just
a couple minutes. Uh oh. Some determined swirling seemed to bring it
back to life after a bit. Good acidity, black cherry fruit, lots of
earth and mushroom aromas. Not a stellar Vosne, but nice for the
pittance I paid at PC. B/B+

Saturday I made a vealloaf (meatloaf recipe, but Betsy had ground veal
in fridge), and opened a 1999 Chauvenet Nuits-St.-Georges (375 ml).
Nice black cherry and black plum fruit, some smoke and stones. A little
shorter than I would like on the finish, but a nice wine that makes me
anticipate the 2001 750s a bit more. B+/B

Sunday I had a meeting that took most of the day, but made it home for
dinner. Betsy made a recipe that has some emotional attachment for us
(the first thing she ever made for me, way before we actually dated) -
a dish that she calls "Chinese Chicken" (poached chicken with scallions
and sesame oil, and hot peanut oil poured over top). I find this best
with whites, and this time we went with Riesling, the 2004 Eugen Muller
Forster Mariengarten Kabinett . Vibrant acidity holds up to the light
sweetness, very limey with undertones of mineral and spice. Not deep,
but fun, an da good deal at $13. B.

Even better QPR ($9)was the Loosen "Dr. L" QbA bottling. Peach and
grapefruit with some orange zest, zippy & fun. Screwcapped, need more
of this. B/B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings

No clue re the Eugen Muller, not familiar with the estate.

I've not liked Loosen's midrange bottlings, but the Dr L is usually
attractive, and I think I liked a dessert wine few years ago.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I looked this up, according to Terry Thiese this is Pechstein fruit,
but Muller uses the grosslage name because he has "brand recognition"
with it.
http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/docu...ERMANY2005.pdf

TN: Burgs, Rieslings, CalChard, Bdx, and more DaleW Wine 0 06-10-2014 06:57 PM
TN: Biryani night, with Rieslings, Burgs,and more DaleW Wine 0 23-03-2014 06:48 PM
TNs: Mostly 06 German Rieslings + a couple of others Salil Wine 0 15-11-2007 05:15 AM
Two young German Rieslings Salil Wine 3 01-11-2007 09:51 PM
TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings DaleW Wine 0 24-04-2006 07:12 PM