Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TNs: Mostly 06 German Rieslings + a couple of others

A local retailer held a small tasting this weekend for some of the new
2006 Terry Theise arrivals. These are my impressions on the Rieslings
poured:

The Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling was the only Austrian Riesling in the
tasting - a nice nose of lime, minerals and flowers, but unlike the
others that followed, was very light, crisp and restrained on the
palate.

Hexamer Meddersheimer Rheingrafenberg Riesling Quarzit - quite a nice
nose of lime and minerals with more lime, spritz and some apples in
the mouth. Light and clean, but there were a few others at the same
price point that impressed me a lot more.
Selbach Oster Kabinett - this and the Hexamer Quarzit were the only
two wines that really tasted as I'd expect Kabinett to taste. This had
a similar flavour profile to the Hexamer but with a bit more
complexity, a refreshing herbal note and a medium length finish.
Jakoby-Mathy Riesling "Balance" - think this is a QbA, but it tasted
like a baby Spatlese. Quite sweet showing apple, peach and some citrus
flavours - very forward, but not too complex and it seemed a bit low
in acidity.

Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett - lime, flowers and lots more slate
with a nice round creamy texture and a faint buttery note underneath
the fruit/slate on the palate. Lovely.
Karlsmuhle Kaseler Nies'chen Kabinett - my favourite of all the
Kabinetts, even though this had the weight/sweetness of a ripe
Spatlese. Apple, flowers, peach, minerals and some faint honeyed hints
- very complex and elegant with enough acidity to balance the
sweetness. This and the Kerpen were just under the $20 mark, and both
seemed like great value.
JJ Christoffel Erdener Treppchen Kabinett - anything BUT a Kabinett
here. I've had some of Christoffel's Auslese/Auslese* from previous
vintages, and those weren't as sweet or rich as this. Citrus, peach,
honey and tropical fruit - very ripe and sweet, but lacking a bit in
acidity and precision. Interesting to note this (as well as a couple
of others - wasn't keeping track too closely) was under a Stelvin.

Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Spatlese - mmmm. Amazingly elegant and
complex, showing flavours ranging from faint honeyed notes to the
standard minerals/flowers/apple and a little red fruit on the nose and
palate. And then an incredibly long finish. Stunning.

Because that wasn't enough Riesling for a weekend, I popped open a
Carl Loewen Leiwener Klostergarten Kabinett 2005 on Sunday night. 14
bucks, and amazing value. Lots of lime, flowers and some grapefruit
and minerals here, but this had some interesting tropical fruit and
herbal nuances to the nose as well which I found quite intriguing.
Very clean and elegant in the mouth, good acidity and a smooth finish
- must buy again at that price.

Cheers,

Salil

couple of good low end Rieslings Emery Davis` Wine 3 26-05-2014 12:18 AM
TN: 2 '07 German Rieslings, 05 Bdx, '05 Macon DaleW Wine 2 30-06-2008 06:45 PM
Two young German Rieslings Salil Wine 3 01-11-2007 09:51 PM
TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings DaleW Wine 2 24-04-2006 08:58 PM
TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings DaleW Wine 0 24-04-2006 07:12 PM