Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wineries, Costco win another round

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._costco04.html
The state Legislature on Friday moved one step closer to allowing
out-of-state wineries and brewers the right to sell its products
directly to Washington retailers — a privilege in-state producers
already enjoy.

Pretty much all over but the shouting in Washington State.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

> skrev i melding
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._costco04.html
> The state Legislature on Friday moved one step closer to allowing
> out-of-state wineries and brewers the right to sell its products
> directly to Washington retailers - a privilege in-state producers
> already enjoy.

Now, our resident lawyers ought to step in and call for a reciprocity -
namely that Washington wineries get the right to sell to any retailer
outside the state.
Perhaps this could mean the end to the medieval distribution system in the
U.S.?
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Let me respond to part of this issue:

Fact or Myth that prices will fall because the distribuitor is out of the
picture or at least not required.

Some inexpensive wines that are mass produced will indeed come down some.
However you should realize that distributors actually have economies of
scale and prices will not fall that much. Now for the allocated, rare
wines...they will not fall at all. The winery will take that profit. Did
you ever notice in the USA that the wineries that sell wine in their own
wine shops are not cheaper than regular retailers.

This is very much a battle of who gets the profits...not do the consumers
see a savings.!!!

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> > skrev i melding
>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._costco04.html
>> The state Legislature on Friday moved one step closer to allowing
>> out-of-state wineries and brewers the right to sell its products
>> directly to Washington retailers - a privilege in-state producers
>> already enjoy.
>>

> Now, our resident lawyers ought to step in and call for a reciprocity -
> namely that Washington wineries get the right to sell to any retailer
> outside the state.
> Perhaps this could mean the end to the medieval distribution system in the
> U.S.?
> Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

2. Anders Tørneskog
Feb 5, 7:48 am hide options

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: "Anders Tørneskog" > - Find messages by
this author
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:48:43 GMT
Subject: Wineries, Costco win another round
original | Report Abuse

> skrev i melding

> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...y/2002783169_c...
> The state Legislature on Friday moved one step closer to allowing
> out-of-state wineries and brewers the right to sell its products
> directly to Washington retailers - a privilege in-state producers
> already enjoy.

Now, our resident lawyers ought to step in and call for a reciprocity -

namely that Washington wineries get the right to sell to any retailer
outside the state.
Perhaps this could mean the end to the medieval distribution system in
the
U.S.?
Anders

Sorry but I can't let this one go. Except for the large winerys, there
is little or no marketing done by domestic or foreign wine companies as
it is left to the distributor to pick up that part of the expense.
Paying for samples, arranging for tastings, paying sales reps to carry
the wine around and take the orders is all left to the distributors.
The reason that we have so many wines to select from here in the US is
becasue of the marketing, sales and distribution network that we have
here in the US. Yes, there will always be high priced, high value
wines that are in short supply and yes there will always be inexpensive
mass produced wine available but without distributors it will be hard
for new wine makers to make a market for their wines and it will be
tougher for France, Italy, Oz etc to get their wines marketed in the
US. Yes, I am a distributor.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I strongly agree with your statements. While the distributor has a role in
the distribution channel it should not have monopolistic tendancy that
allows for a consumer to be limited to what the distributor chooses to
carry.

I think the winery should have the option of how they wish to market their
product. They can go direct to stores with/without a distributor. If they
choose a distributor/broker that should be their choice not legislated.

The distributors today in many states opt to limit their selection and do
not or did not want wine to be brought into the states unless it went
through their network. This kind of relationship is not good for the
consumer or the retailer.

Once the walls of obstruction are torn down the distributor must become an
added value part of the equation. If they are good, keep costs down
relative to other methods of distribution, merchandising services and
expertise on shelving, then they will survive.

If the only purpose of a distributor is limit selection of competitive
items, make it easier for state to collect taxes...then the future is
dim/bleak.

I am very pro distributor...but they must rise to the challange of added
value services.

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
oups.com...
2. Anders Trneskog
Feb 5, 7:48 am hide options

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: "Anders Trneskog" > - Find messages by
this author
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:48:43 GMT
original | Report Abuse

> skrev i melding

> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...y/2002783169_c...
> The state Legislature on Friday moved one step closer to allowing
> out-of-state wineries and brewers the right to sell its products
> directly to Washington retailers - a privilege in-state producers
> already enjoy.

Now, our resident lawyers ought to step in and call for a reciprocity -

namely that Washington wineries get the right to sell to any retailer
outside the state.
Perhaps this could mean the end to the medieval distribution system in
the
U.S.?
Anders

Sorry but I can't let this one go. Except for the large winerys, there
is little or no marketing done by domestic or foreign wine companies as
it is left to the distributor to pick up that part of the expense.
Paying for samples, arranging for tastings, paying sales reps to carry
the wine around and take the orders is all left to the distributors.
The reason that we have so many wines to select from here in the US is
becasue of the marketing, sales and distribution network that we have
here in the US. Yes, there will always be high priced, high value
wines that are in short supply and yes there will always be inexpensive
mass produced wine available but without distributors it will be hard
for new wine makers to make a market for their wines and it will be
tougher for France, Italy, Oz etc to get their wines marketed in the
US. Yes, I am a distributor.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > skrev i melding
oups.com...
2. Anders Trneskog
Feb 5, 7:48 am hide options

>Sorry but I can't let this one go. Except for the large winerys, there
>is little or no marketing done by domestic or foreign wine companies as
>it is left to the distributor to pick up that part of the expense.

It is logical that wineries don't do marketing and sales out of their own
state if that is illegal... :-)
I'll fully admit that I've no idea about the details of US legislation in
this area, but I do recall that there has been several threads in this ng
concerning the difficulties consumers meet in buying what they want, and
that several US citizens have lamented the state of affairs here in afw.

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,

le/on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:34:22 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>wines...they will not fall at all. The winery will take that profit. Did
>you ever notice in the USA that the wineries that sell wine in their own
>wine shops are not cheaper than regular retailers.

And I, for one, will be delighted to see that the guy that has the skill,
takes the risks and does the work takes the lions' share of the mazoola.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders,

It is true but most of the difficulties were local state laws that in many
cases are being defeated.

I reside in North Carolina and about 1.5 years back we were able to buy from
wineries but not from retailers.

Its getting better but not perfect. Not even close.

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Bi!!" > skrev i melding
> oups.com...
> 2. Anders Trneskog
> Feb 5, 7:48 am hide options
>

>>Sorry but I can't let this one go. Except for the large winerys, there
>>is little or no marketing done by domestic or foreign wine companies as
>>it is left to the distributor to pick up that part of the expense.

> It is logical that wineries don't do marketing and sales out of their own
> state if that is illegal... :-)
> I'll fully admit that I've no idea about the details of US legislation in
> this area, but I do recall that there has been several threads in this ng
> concerning the difficulties consumers meet in buying what they want, and
> that several US citizens have lamented the state of affairs here in afw.
>
> Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

I don't have a problem with that fact either....just the myth that prices
are falling. That would be a myth.

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,
>
> le/on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:34:22 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>wines...they will not fall at all. The winery will take that profit. Did
>>you ever notice in the USA that the wineries that sell wine in their own
>>wine shops are not cheaper than regular retailers.

> And I, for one, will be delighted to see that the guy that has the skill,
> takes the risks and does the work takes the lions' share of the mazoola.
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Anders,
>
> It is true but most of the difficulties were local state laws that in

many
> cases are being defeated.
>
> I reside in North Carolina and about 1.5 years back we were able to

buy from
> wineries but not from retailers.

Have you told The Wine Guy or the Asheville Wine Market of
this problem? I am sure those long established retailers
in Asheville, North Carolina would be glad to help.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sorry, I do not understand your point. Plus I am in Charlotte area.

For the most part ordering from a winery rarely is cheaper if the products
sought after and in retail distribution on our state. Just the cost of
shipping UPS or Fed ex on a case would eliminate the savings. On occasion I
can find a bargain out of state but that is rare.

Most of my out of state purchases are for wines not taken on by distributors
here. Small wineries like Reverie wines or El Molino etc. They are so
scare or not here so I buy from wineries.

"pavane" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> Anders,
>>
>> It is true but most of the difficulties were local state laws that in

> many
>> cases are being defeated.
>>
>> I reside in North Carolina and about 1.5 years back we were able to

> buy from
>> wineries but not from retailers.
>>

> Have you told The Wine Guy or the Asheville Wine Market of
> this problem? I am sure those long established retailers
> in Asheville, North Carolina would be glad to help.
>
> pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

Woodinville wineries lleichtman Wine 0 01-08-2013 05:39 PM
2 newly found wineries...but not new wineries. Richard Neidich Wine 0 23-10-2007 11:02 PM
Map of wineries [email protected] Wine 4 04-02-2007 03:49 PM
Costco wins a round...maybe [email protected] Wine 6 29-12-2005 11:42 PM
Australian wineries kmr Wine 6 23-04-2004 04:58 AM