Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: my first classified '03 Bdx, the Leoville-Barton

With all the divergent opinions and warnings of inconsistency about the
2003 Bordeaux, I was hesitant about ordering much on futures. I did
order some Gloria (sentimental reasons), and then jumped when my local
(Rochambeau) had a lower price on Leoville Barton (about $44) than Sams
or PC. I figured L-B was a pretty safe bet, because it was
well-regarded by Parker, Robinson, and Decanter (Spurrier I think). I
got the call last week the Barton was in. I had hoped to wait two weeks
for it to settle, but with the unusually warm weather Betsy chose to
ask me to grill two racks of lamb, and the Bordeaux siren called.

While Betsy was working on kale (Zuni Cafe Cookbook, delicious kale is
served over toast and topped with olive oil and shaved aged pecorino,
great) for first course, I popped my first bottle of 2003
Leoville-Barton (St. Julien). Open from the get-go, with rich cassis
fruit and a bit of herb. By the time I had started fire, grill lamb,
and sat down (half-hour), it seemed to have gained in complexity, with
some mocha, cedar and pencil lead. Tannins are big but ripe, finish
long. This is indeed low-acid (moreso even than the 2000, I think) ,
but with the vibrancy of the fruit doesn't come across as flabby. Very
tasty now, but I will try and exercise restraint and bury rest in
cellar. A-

TN Vertical Leoville Barton JT Wine 0 10-09-2009 07:48 PM
Leoville Barton Ronin[_3_] Wine 11 17-09-2007 02:16 AM
TN 2004 Leoville Barton DaleW Wine 11 30-08-2007 12:35 AM
TN Leoville-Barton 1997 John T Wine 1 13-01-2007 02:31 PM
2002 Leoville Barton [email protected] Wine 3 01-01-2007 03:30 AM