Posted to alt.food.wine
Jim

Default TN: Champagne Break (Guy Michel and Eric Rodez)

A BREAK FROM SHOPPING - Ebisu Garden Place -- R-Gath (12/31/2005)

One of the things I love about Tokyo is that there are indulgent
surprises everywhere...like the wine bar in the middle of the
department store and shopping arcade near my house.

While taking my mother-in-law, wife, and sister-in-law shopping on New
Years Eve day, my brother-in-law, Lee, and I stopped for a Champagne
break.

*1989 Guy Michel Tradition Brut - France, Champagne, Pierry*

Evolved deep golden yellow with unusually (even worryingly) large bead
of good persistence. Not sure how there could be enough dissolved CO2
to keep up a mousse with bubbles that large for that long. Nose is
classic mature Champagne in a slightly oxydised style. Bruléed apple
fruit is joined by ripe brie cheese and mushroom. Palate is very soft
and very round, in fact a bit fat. Acid is nowhere to be found, but
there is a nice dose of grilled bread and roasted hazelnut that hits
the back of the nose during the finish. A nice array of flavors and an
interesting contrast to the still wine from Christmas day, this was
enjoyable for a glass, but would begin to cloy after that. There was
only the slightest hint of the chalk that was so prominent in the still
wine. I'm not a big fan of '89 Champagnes in general, but I suspect
this was about more than just vintage.

*N.V. Eric Rodez Blanc de Noirs Grand Cru Brut - France, Champagne,
Ambonnay*

Deepish gold, not quite bright, with small steady mousse. Nose has a
persistent strain of strawberry that is clearly detectable sitting back
in the chair with the glass sitting on the table at arm's length. In
many wines, this kind of strawberry nose bothers me, but this was
surprisingly clean and fresh. Underneath the persistent berry nose was
ripe apple and rich white flower, along with a nice bit of rising bread
yeast. The palate had a surprising combination of density and
integration that - combined with just enough acid - gave the wine
great balance and lightness. Plum joined the strawberry for a classic
blanc de noirs palate that finished with more yeast and bit of caramel.
Very much lives up to its grand cru billing. My first experience with
the producer; I'd like to have more.

Certainly makes shopping easier. And makes me into a much more
compliant husband.

Posted from CellarTracker

NYT: Eric Asimov does Pinot Grigio Mark Lipton Wine 1 23-08-2006 06:10 PM
Ping: Eric Jorgensen - fribrament Dee Randall Baking 0 07-04-2005 02:06 AM
Apropos a Eric Solomon jcoulter Wine 2 03-03-2005 04:58 PM
Apropos a Eric Solomon jcoulter Wine 0 03-03-2005 12:19 AM
HEY MICHEL AND DAVE F*CK U! The Wolf General Cooking 64 24-12-2003 01:21 PM