Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default [TN] Ch Gazin 1973

Hello;
When we told our friend, Mad Man Mårten, about our aqusition of a bottle of
same, he was lsightly less than enthusiastic (if not downright sneering,
which, as the Good Guy he is, he would not stoop to[1])
since, apparently, 1973 will not go down as one of the previous century´s
number one vintages.
Anyway, we decided to open it in closed comapny (Xina, self, and TIm the 30
year old) to accompany a back, or saddle, of deer.
As expected, color was tending towards brick, not very dark at all.
Nose needed some time in the glass to clear up from some immediate
impurities, but, thank heavens, no cork taint. Released a massive attack of
grass, green pepper, black currant leaves - obviously a very Cab Franc
driven wine, hard to discern any Merlot. Aromas of maturity (sweetness and
rowan jam) almost drowned out.
Attack of fresh acidity, tannines more subdued, titillating tastes of black
currants and spices.
Overall impression: nowhere near fading, happy to have made its aquaintance

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ch Gazin 1973

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Hello;
> When we told our friend, Mad Man Mårten, about our aqusition of a bottle of
> same, he was lsightly less than enthusiastic (if not downright sneering,
> which, as the Good Guy he is, he would not stoop to[1])
> since, apparently, 1973 will not go down as one of the previous century´s
> number one vintages.
> Anyway, we decided to open it in closed comapny (Xina, self, and TIm the 30
> year old) to accompany a back, or saddle, of deer.
> As expected, color was tending towards brick, not very dark at all.
> Nose needed some time in the glass to clear up from some immediate
> impurities, but, thank heavens, no cork taint. Released a massive attack of
> grass, green pepper, black currant leaves - obviously a very Cab Franc
> driven wine, hard to discern any Merlot. Aromas of maturity (sweetness and
> rowan jam) almost drowned out.
> Attack of fresh acidity, tannines more subdued, titillating tastes of black
> currants and spices.
> Overall impression: nowhere near fading, happy to have made its aquaintance

I have not seen any recent tasting notes for Gazin 73 other than those
you give. Michael Broadbent tasted this wine in the 1980s and included
it in a list of "Pleasant Drinking In The Early 1980s" in a book
published in 1991. Broadbent tasted quite a few of the 73s in the 90s,
and several were still holding fairly well then, although he did not
give any of them more than a 3 out of 5-star rating. I know that Petrus
73 is still holding. It is not a fine wine, but is still quite
drinkable.