Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: Good Gevrey and Rosso-d-M, others

Saturday we went to dinner at some friends' house. I had a sip of a Kir
Royale, the switched to a red Loire, the 2003 Domaine Vacheron
Sancerre. A little tough at first- served straight from the fridge, it
seemed shockingly tannic for Sancerre rouge. But as it warmed a bit the
tannic sense subsided and some rather fleshy raspberry fruit emerged. I
liked more and more as the night went on, though there was a touch of
unintegrated oak. This was not flabby or lacking in acidity- I really
think overall the reds fared better in the Loire in 2003 than the
whites. B

With the first sitdown course, an avocado filled with salmon roe and
creme fraiche, Alex served the 2003 Louis Latour "Les Genievres"
Macon-Lugny. Pretty anonymous round Chardonnay, just a hint of oak with
low acidity and rather round apple fruit. B-/C+

As Alex cooked the mystery main course, we had a bottle of the 1998
Siro Pacenti Rosso di Montalcino. As it was poured, I was a bit
doubtful, as I tend to drink Rosso on release. But this was a very
pleasant surprise, really a pointe, medium-bodied with a leathery note
wafting over the dried cherry and red plum fruit. A little earth and
herb, one of the nicest RdMs I remember. B+/A-

As far as I recall, this meal was the first time I've ever had foie
gras as a main course . Alex had ordered a whole liver from d'Artagnan,
and served thin slices gently seared with a sauce that included grapes,
accompanied by a celeriac puree. Yum.

We also had the 2000 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Corbeaux
1er Cru Vieilles Vignes - I had bought this after a store tasting, then
immediately saw some rather negative notes on the wine boards. But
there was nothing lacking about this bottle to me. An hour of air
brought out loads of earth, over a solid body of black cherry fruit.
Rich fruit, enough acidit, and not much in the way of perceptible
tannins, this is ready to go. Last glass showed some tobacco (not
somethng I tend to think of as Burgundian) and animal/meat notes.
Pretty without being effete, I wish I had more (for drinking over next
3-4 years). B+/A-

With dessert (I don't eat, but I think spice cake and grapefruit
sorbet), we had the 2003 Clos De Paulilles Banyuls. Overipe
blackberries & black cherries with a bit of a pruney note. Others liked
this more than I (an admitted non-Banyuls fan). B/B-

Most importantly, great night with nice friends.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

[TN] '08 Fourrier Gevrey Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 24-03-2012 10:41 PM
TN: Gevrey and Muscadet DaleW Wine 0 23-10-2010 08:56 PM
TN: 2 good wines, neither exactly what I expected (MSR, Gevrey) DaleW Wine 2 07-02-2010 07:17 PM
TN: Good Gevrey, but more ho-hum wines than winners DaleW Wine 0 24-12-2005 03:22 AM
Brunello and a Rosso.. Mr Marcello Fabretti Wine 1 23-10-2003 06:11 PM