Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Oppenheimer Kreuz Gewurztraminer Auslese 1971, C Sittmann

The wine is Oppenheimer Kreuz Gewurztraminer Auslese 1971, Carl
Sittmann, AP Nr. 4 387 165 66 72, Silberne Kammerpreismunze,
Weinpramiierung 1973, Landwirtschafts Kammer Rheinland-Pfalz. The wine
has been stored well by me since shortly after release. This estate
dates back to the early 1600s.

The wine is intense yellow-gold. It is extremely rich, I would have
guessed BA. The bouquet and taste are both intense. There is much fruit
of nearly a Muscat character. There is also mixed spice, a taste of
white raisins, and a bit of honey. The wine is extremely sweet. It is
rather soft and barely has enough acid for my taste - what some at one
time called a ladies wine. The finish is fairly long. It is a very good
example of an ultra-sweet Gewurztraminer, but I must admit that I
prefer the usual greater acidity of a Riesling for such very sweet
wines. It has plenty of body and richness to stand up to rich pastry or
even very sweet tropical fruits. It likely will last well for at least
a few more years.