Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Scharzhofberger Auslese 1971, Egon Muller

The Scharzhofberger Auslese 1971, Egon Muller, was the standard white
capsule selection, not the premium gold capsule, with A.P. Nr. 3567
142-48-72. It has been properly stored since shortly after release,
had a high fill, and had no cork or other issues.

The color was bright gold. The bouquet and taste were of a mixed
yellow and white fruit character such as peaches and pears with
considerable citrus character - perhaps orange, and lemon peel. There
was a hint of herbs and a bit of clean old Riesling petrol character.
The wine was very sweet and rich, but the high acid content well
balanced the great sweetness. I have yet to taste a Riesling from the
Saar and from a better producer that did not have enough acid. which
often needs some time to soften. The finish was very long.

Comparison of this wine with the J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
1971, long gold capsule, I had last week is not very productive. This
was a Saar and it is quite different from a Mosel. This was the
standard auslese, and the Wehlener was a very special long gold
capsule selection which is a step up from the gold capsule, which is
the first step up from the basic auslese. Both wines are outstanding
in different ways.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 2:00*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> The Scharzhofberger Auslese 1971, Egon Muller, was the standard white
> capsule selection, not the premium gold capsule, with A.P. Nr. 3567
> 142-48-72. It has been properly stored since shortly after release,
> had a high fill, and had no cork or other issues.
>
> The color was bright gold. The bouquet and taste were of a mixed
> yellow and white fruit character such as peaches and pears with
> considerable citrus character - perhaps orange, and lemon peel. There
> was a hint of herbs and a bit of clean old Riesling petrol character.
> The wine was very sweet and rich, but the high acid content well
> balanced the great sweetness. I have yet to taste a Riesling from the
> Saar and from a better producer that did not have enough acid. which
> often needs some time to soften. The finish was very long.
>
> Comparison of this wine with the J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
> 1971, long gold capsule, I had last week is not very productive. This
> was a Saar and it is quite different from a Mosel. This was the
> standard auslese, and the Wehlener was a very special long gold
> capsule selection which is a step up from the gold capsule, which is
> the first step up from the basic auslese. Both wines are outstanding
> in different ways.

I wonder if I could set up my computer to just post an envious reply
whenever you post notes!
Thanks, really interesting/
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 8:21�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2:00�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > The Scharzhofberger Auslese 1971, Egon Muller, was the standard white
> > capsule selection, not the premium gold capsule, with A.P. Nr. 3567
> > 142-48-72. It has been properly stored since shortly after release,
> > had a high fill, and had no cork or other issues.

> > The color was bright gold. The bouquet and taste were of a mixed
> > yellow and white fruit character such as peaches and pears with
> > considerable citrus character - perhaps orange, and lemon peel. There
> > was a hint of herbs and a bit of clean old Riesling petrol character.
> > The wine was very sweet and rich, but the high acid content well
> > balanced the great sweetness. I have yet to taste a Riesling from the
> > Saar and from a better producer that did not have enough acid. which
> > often needs some time to soften. The finish was very long.

> > Comparison of this wine with the J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
> > 1971, long gold capsule, I had last week is not very productive. This
> > was a Saar and it is quite different from a Mosel. This was the
> > standard auslese, and the Wehlener was a very special long gold
> > capsule selection which is a step up from the gold capsule, which is
> > the first step up from the basic auslese. Both wines are outstanding
> > in different ways.

> I wonder if I could set up my computer to just post an envious reply
> whenever you post notes!
> Thanks, really interesting/- Hide quoted text -

I would love to pick his brain about the incredible array of older
German wines that he posts his notes on!