jcoulter

Default weird wine lists

Well maybe not weird but the restaurant was. Louis XIII in Minneapolis (OK
actually Edina) MN. eclectic little place with only onion soup to fully lay
claim to a French restaurant theme. They serve everything from burgers to
filet mignon, but nothing fancy though the aforementioned wine list knocked
me out-One could plunk down $1500 plus tax for a bottle of 2000 Lafite or
$18 for Augey Bordeaux! they had similar whites and of course one could pay
$125 for a glass of Louis XIII cognac (its presence must be what actually
gives the restaurnat the name)

It was the most riduculous to sublime list I have seen in a long time.
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Dick R.

jcoulter wrote:

> Well maybe not weird but the restaurant was. Louis XIII in Minneapolis (OK
> actually Edina) MN. eclectic little place with only onion soup to fully lay
> claim to a French restaurant theme. They serve everything from burgers to
> filet mignon, but nothing fancy though the aforementioned wine list knocked
> me out-One could plunk down $1500 plus tax for a bottle of 2000 Lafite or
> $18 for Augey Bordeaux! they had similar whites and of course one could pay
> $125 for a glass of Louis XIII cognac (its presence must be what actually
> gives the restaurnat the name)
>
> It was the most riduculous to sublime list I have seen in a long time.

Hey Joseph,
I grew up in Edina, Minnesota. Don't remember any restaurants (I was a young
pup), but I do remember a place on 50th and France called the Brown Derby.
I might be mistaken on the name, but it was next to the movie theater.
A noted newspaper columnist (can't remember his name) had a restaurant
on 50th and Hwy 100. Thanks for renewing some old memories. What else
can say but ... Edina Hornets, fight fight fight! :-)
Dick R.
Member

Location: Madrid, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter
Well maybe not weird but the restaurant was. Louis XIII in Minneapolis (OK
actually Edina) MN. eclectic little place with only onion soup to fully lay
claim to a French restaurant theme. They serve everything from burgers to
filet mignon, but nothing fancy though the aforementioned wine list knocked
me out-One could plunk down $1500 plus tax for a bottle of 2000 Lafite or
$18 for Augey Bordeaux! they had similar whites and of course one could pay
$125 for a glass of Louis XIII cognac (its presence must be what actually
gives the restaurnat the name)

It was the most riduculous to sublime list I have seen in a long time.
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations
http://www.josephcoulter.com/
I knew the original sommelier there. A bit of a big head on his shoulders and the goal was to have a little of everything. He took me downstairs to the cellar and beyond the publicly displayed wines it was a mess. Wine everywhere, stored at the right temperature but with little order and logic to it. The other down point was the prices though I heard that they were trimming down the list some and thus you can sometimes find a "clearance" deal or two...