Midlife

Default 2001 Elena Zinfandel @ BevMo

Sorry to those outside BevMo's trading area (California mostly), but I think
Elena may be a private label wine, since I can't find it on wine-searcher or
via Google. Anyway, a good friend is singing the praises of '01 Elena Old
Vines ZIn. BevMo is running a sale now, and the wine is half off ($7.99) He
says it's "unbelievable" and is into his 3rd case already.

The '01 is 16.6% alcohol, and my friend says it is far better than the '02
%). I haven't tasted either, because the friend lives 120 miles away
and BevMo seems to be completely sold out of the '01 in my area.

Before I knock myself out searching, does anyone have any experience with
this wine (or any info on the label, for that matter)? Thanks.

Chris Sprague

I own a bottle, but I'm at work right now and can't go into my cellar
to look at it. If I remember correctly, the back label claims an
annual production of 325 cases or so, but if it's a private label, that
may not be meaningful (though I'm not sure of the legalities of that).
My bottle was a gift last year from a friend of mine in Pasadena, and I
am still waiting for an excuse to drink it. When I do, I can post my
tasting notes, though it might be awhile. 16.6% does seem to be a bit
'hot' though, even for a CaliZin.

But for $7.99, what the heck is stopping you from trying a bottle?

- Chris

Stephen Fuld

"Midlife" > wrote in message
> Sorry to those outside BevMo's trading area (California mostly), but I
> think
> Elena may be a private label wine, since I can't find it on wine-searcher
> or
> via Google. Anyway, a good friend is singing the praises of '01 Elena Old
> Vines ZIn. BevMo is running a sale now, and the wine is half off ($7.99)
> He
> says it's "unbelievable" and is into his 3rd case already.
>
> The '01 is 16.6% alcohol, and my friend says it is far better than the '02
> %). I haven't tasted either, because the friend lives 120 miles away
> and BevMo seems to be completely sold out of the '01 in my area.
>
> Before I knock myself out searching, does anyone have any experience with
> this wine (or any info on the label, for that matter)? Thanks.

Be carefull and check the label. I believe that Elena is a BevMo private
label, and the old vines zin is quite good (they had a tasting of it a
couple of months ago and I bought some), but the wine on the "nickle sale"
is not the "old vines" but the regular zin. I haven't tasted it, but the
assistant manager at the store near me said it wasn't nearly as good.

But, as Chris said, for the price, buy a bottle and try it!

--
- Stephen Fuld
e-mail address disguised to prevent spam