zara

Default ignorant oneophile needs help

I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is a
huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you will
have some great picks.
Thanks in advance.

enoavidh

Please refrain from feeding the troll.

zara wrote:
> I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is a
> huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
> on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
> stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you will
> have some great picks.
> Thanks in advance.

Why bother? I assume he already has all the wine he needs...

Hunt

In article >, says...

>I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is a
>huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
>on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
>stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you will
>have some great picks.
>Thanks in advance.

Zara,

I hope that I can help. As this NG's biggest, fattest, most pompous stuffed-
shirt, with more wine in my cellar, than I can drink in my life-time, I happen
to fancy a Napa, CA/US Cab, Diamond Creek. While I have many bottles from
different years, there are many that I have missed. As luck would have it,
Diamond Creek produces from three vineyards, constantly: Volcanic Hill, Red
Rock Terrace, and Gravely Meadow, plus the Lake Vineyard, on occasion. To
really wow the birthday-boy, I would suggest a vertical/horizontal of say 5
years of Diamond Creek. Get one btl of each, the RRT, VH & GM for five
vintages. Add the LV bottlings, when they were done. Simple, albeit rather
expensive. However, the b-b will be knocked out of his socks at such a gift.

Oh, and disregard the comments by some here. They were just afraid that my
feelings might be hurt by the characterization. I greatly appreciate their
concern, but it was totally unnecessary. Gosh, their efforts almost make me
blush.

Enjoy the birthday party, and pray that the b-b invites you over for his
wonderful tasting party of all the DC wines.

Hunt

Mike P

"zara" > wrote in message
>I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is
>a huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
>on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
>stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you will
>have some great picks.
> Thanks in advance.

I'd buy him a dictionary and have him teach you how to spell oenophile....
That might help with the ignorant part.

Larry

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:57:10 +0000 (UTC), enoavidh >
wrote:

>Please refrain from feeding the troll.

But the troll might be stupid enough to go out and buy b - b
what Hunt suggested. Credit card would take a hit for 1200-1500
dollars cdn. LOVE IT.

Great sense of humour Hunt!

Joseph B. Rosenberg

I think a tasting of the special bottlings of Real Sangria and Mateus would
get him ready for barrel fermented scuppernog or Peter Ustinov's French
Columbard or is that no longer chic?
"Mike P" > wrote in message

> "zara" > wrote in message
> >I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he

is
> >a huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an

idea
> >on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat

pompous
> >stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you

will
> >have some great picks.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> I'd buy him a dictionary and have him teach you how to spell oenophile....
> That might help with the ignorant part.

zara

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>>I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is
>>huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
>>on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
>>stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you
>>will
>>have some great picks.
>>Thanks in advance.

> Zara,
>
> I hope that I can help. As this NG's biggest, fattest, most pompous
> stuffed-
> shirt, with more wine in my cellar, than I can drink in my life-time, I
> happen
> to fancy a Napa, CA/US Cab, Diamond Creek. While I have many bottles from
> different years, there are many that I have missed. As luck would have it,
> Diamond Creek produces from three vineyards, constantly: Volcanic Hill,
> Red
> Rock Terrace, and Gravely Meadow, plus the Lake Vineyard, on occasion. To
> really wow the birthday-boy, I would suggest a vertical/horizontal of say
> 5
> years of Diamond Creek. Get one btl of each, the RRT, VH & GM for five
> vintages. Add the LV bottlings, when they were done. Simple, albeit rather
> expensive. However, the b-b will be knocked out of his socks at such a
> gift.
>
> Oh, and disregard the comments by some here. They were just afraid that my
> feelings might be hurt by the characterization. I greatly appreciate their
> concern, but it was totally unnecessary. Gosh, their efforts almost make
> me
> blush.
>
> Enjoy the birthday party, and pray that the b-b invites you over for his
> wonderful tasting party of all the DC wines.
>
> Hunt

Thanks for your creative answer - you have given me an idea - I'm buying a
bunch of good stuff for myself - and getting him a bottle of Two Buck Chuck,
and relabeling to one of the smaller boutique wineries. He will never know
the difference, just like the price buyers here, who drink expensive swill
and than gush about how great it is. Did you notice that all the Dickheads
came out of the woodwork to insult me.
PS: you are not the most pompous stuffed shirt on this group - quite the
contrary.

zara

"enoavidh" > wrote in message
. 40...
> Please refrain from feeding the troll.

Pull the stick out of your ass Dickhead - it makes you look stiff.

Joseph B. Rosenberg

Exactly what kind of wine does one drink when shoving a stick up one's bum?
Can this be answered both holistically and from a woodworker's viewpoint?
Or is this a question for Camus, Satre or Rod McKuen?
"zara" > wrote in message

> "enoavidh" > wrote in message
> . 40...
> > Please refrain from feeding the troll.

> Pull the stick out of your ass Dickhead - it makes you look stiff.

Hunt

In article >, says

>"Hunt" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>> says...
>>>
>>>I will be attending a very wealthy acquaintance's birthday party --- he is
>>>huge consumer of expensive wines. Does anyone on this group have an idea
>>>on, what I should buy him?? Price is no object. He is a big, fat pompous
>>>stuffed shirt - similar to many on this group, so I'm sure some of you
>>>will
>>>have some great picks.
>>>Thanks in advance.

>> Zara,
>>
>> I hope that I can help. As this NG's biggest, fattest, most pompous
>> stuffed-
>> shirt, with more wine in my cellar, than I can drink in my life-time, I
>> happen
>> to fancy a Napa, CA/US Cab, Diamond Creek. While I have many bottles from
>> different years, there are many that I have missed. As luck would have it,
>> Diamond Creek produces from three vineyards, constantly: Volcanic Hill,
>> Red
>> Rock Terrace, and Gravely Meadow, plus the Lake Vineyard, on occasion. To
>> really wow the birthday-boy, I would suggest a vertical/horizontal of say
>> 5
>> years of Diamond Creek. Get one btl of each, the RRT, VH & GM for five
>> vintages. Add the LV bottlings, when they were done. Simple, albeit rather
>> expensive. However, the b-b will be knocked out of his socks at such a
>> gift.
>>
>> Oh, and disregard the comments by some here. They were just afraid that my
>> feelings might be hurt by the characterization. I greatly appreciate their
>> concern, but it was totally unnecessary. Gosh, their efforts almost make
>> me
>> blush.
>>
>> Enjoy the birthday party, and pray that the b-b invites you over for his
>> wonderful tasting party of all the DC wines.
>>
>> Hunt

>Thanks for your creative answer - you have given me an idea - I'm buying a
>bunch of good stuff for myself - and getting him a bottle of Two Buck Chuck,
>and relabeling to one of the smaller boutique wineries. He will never know
>the difference, just like the price buyers here, who drink expensive swill
>and than gush about how great it is. Did you notice that all the Dickheads
>came out of the woodwork to insult me.
>PS: you are not the most pompous stuffed shirt on this group - quite the
>contrary.

Kara,

Be a little careful here, as most folk, who know their wine, will be repusled
at $2 Chuck, which is now about US $4 Chuck. If yours is a legit quesiton,
then I'd get him something good, and let it go at that. Now, you might want to
do 2 bts. of wine, one real and good, one, whatever, and see if he DOES know
the diff. Might be worth a laugh.

Hunt

Tom S

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> Be a little careful here, as most folk, who know their wine, will be
> repusled
> at $2 Chuck, which is now about US $4 Chuck.

Just for the record, 2 Buck Chuck still exists. The so-called 4 Buck Chuck,
AKA 4 Dollar Fred, is Franzia's Napa Valley offering.

I mean no endorsement by the above; merely clarification.

Tom S

Hunt

In article >, toms@dontspampacbell
..net says...

>"Hunt" > wrote in message
>> Be a little careful here, as most folk, who know their wine, will be
>> repusled
>> at $2 Chuck, which is now about US $4 Chuck.

>Just for the record, 2 Buck Chuck still exists. The so-called 4 Buck Chuck,
>AKA 4 Dollar Fred, is Franzia's Napa Valley offering.
>
>I mean no endorsement by the above; merely clarification.
>
>Tom S

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. FWIW, it is duely noted. While I have not tried
the Charles Shaw Cab since the days of its introduction into the AZ
marketplace, I cannot image that it is much better now - however I could be
very wrong. While I do shop at Trader Joe's (PHX), I have not checked the
price of the Bronco-CS, but will try and remember to take a look. I may even
attempt another bottle, just in case it really IS the best Cab for the $,
though I remain highly skeptical.

Hunt