DaleW

Default TN: basic Bourgogne and 2nd of LMHB

With some duck breast and polenta, the 2002 Catherine and Claude
Mar=E9chal "Cuv=E9e Gravel" Bourgogne. Seemingly a little thin at first,
then rounds out to a nicely balanced mid-size Bourgogne. Ripe cherry
fruit, a raspberry soda note, with a little earth. What more could you
ask for in a basic Bourgogne, but I confess to being just the slightest
bit disappointed. Simply a case of excess expectations - between the
way I loved previous vintages of this, and the way I was wowwed by
their '02 Savigny VV, I think I just expected too much. A well-done
classic Bourgogne that should have thrilled me left a little flat. If I
take away the excess expectations, this is a nice B+

With some lamb stew and couscous Friday, the 1999 La Chappelle de la
Mission Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan). Elegantly balanced midweight
Bordeaux, some distinct Graves earth and mineral/quartz, leadpencil,
tobacco. Fruit is more red than black, light tannins and moderate
acidity. Clean minerally finish lingers, nice classic claret. I don't
buy a lot of second wines, but this one was a bargain at $20 or so and
is drinking well now. B+/A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:

> With some duck breast and polenta, the 2002 Catherine and Claude
> Maréchal "Cuvée Gravel" Bourgogne. Seemingly a little thin at first,
> then rounds out to a nicely balanced mid-size Bourgogne. Ripe cherry
> fruit, a raspberry soda note, with a little earth. What more could you
> ask for in a basic Bourgogne, but I confess to being just the slightest
> bit disappointed. Simply a case of excess expectations - between the
> way I loved previous vintages of this, and the way I was wowwed by
> their '02 Savigny VV, I think I just expected too much. A well-done
> classic Bourgogne that should have thrilled me left a little flat. If I
> take away the excess expectations, this is a nice B+

As you say, your prior experience with their Savigny may have colored
your judgement. Still, you probably didn't pay that much less for this
than for the Savigny, did you? So why not have the same high expectations?

> With some lamb stew and couscous Friday, the 1999 La Chappelle de la
> Mission Haut-Brion (Pessac-Leognan). Elegantly balanced midweight
> Bordeaux, some distinct Graves earth and mineral/quartz, leadpencil,
> tobacco. Fruit is more red than black, light tannins and moderate
> acidity. Clean minerally finish lingers, nice classic claret. I don't
> buy a lot of second wines, but this one was a bargain at $20 or so and
> is drinking well now. B+/A-

Although I understand the perils of comparing 2nds to the 1st, these
notes leave me pleased that Jean picked up a magnum of the '99 LMHB at a
charity auction years ago. Yet another thing to await you if you should
find your way to Chicago, Dale. ;-)

Mark Lipton
DaleW

Mark, I had the '99 LMHB in May, and it needed a little time (from
750). Very tasty, but I'd wait 5-10. Or until I get near you.

WTN: 24 bottles of 85 claret, + 81 LMHB, 78 GPL, 96 Bollys DaleW Wine 4 25-10-2014 07:37 PM
TN: wines by candlelight- cheap Tuscan, LI white, basic Bourgogne DaleW Wine 1 18-03-2010 01:10 AM
TN: Nice basic Bourgogne DaleW Wine 3 24-06-2009 02:18 PM
TN: 3L of LMHB, Mexican wine, Drouhin, Beychevelle DaleW Wine 0 29-12-2007 09:26 PM
TN: Basic Bourgogne, basic Bordeaux Blanc, both basically good. DaleW Wine 3 13-10-2005 04:23 AM