Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3L of LMHB, Mexican wine, Drouhin, Beychevelle

Thursday Betsy made a roasted fish stew with tomato and basil from a
recipe in the SF Chronicle her mom had sent. She used a cup of white
wine, and we had rest with dinner. It was the $8.xx 2006 Drouhin
Laforet Bourgogne Blanc, a good if unexceptional value. Clean white
pear fruit, a hint of hazelnut, clean finish. There's just a hint of
oak, this isn't long but it is straightforward, B/B-

Friday we went to Mark and Nancy's for a dinner party. As we arrived,
we got Champagne to go with excellent poached shrimp and smoked
salmon. The bubbly was the NV Pommery Brut, a nice lighter Champagne
with fresh apple fruit, some lighter brioche notes, and a fine mousse.
Great apertif. B+

Other than Mark I was only winegeek present, he called me over to
blind taste a red. Very ripe, sweet, with dark berry fruit. I almost
said Shiraz, but went with Grenache. Asked to name a region, I thought
California. OK, a double miss. The wine was from Mexico, with a blend
of Merlot, CS, and zinfandel. Pretty sure it was called Colina Bai,
but didn't note vintage. Asked my opinion, I said I thought it ok as a
stand-alone, but didn't think I would like it with meal. Others would
like more, but not my style. That's when I found out the couple I had
just met were investors in the winery, but luckily they just were
interested in honest opinions. B-

We sat down to a platter of cured meats and some mozzarella with
tomatoes, then main course of Flannery roast beef with mashed
potatoes, yorkshire pudding, and spinach. Mark had opened the 1974 La
Mission Haut Brion- from a double magnum! I confess to wondering re
the vintage, but a couple sniffs dispelled most doubts. Lots of
tobacco on the nose, the fruit is still quite fetching, all black
plums and cassis. I thought this got better and better through the
night (I had a bunch-Betsy was driving) with earth, iron, leather and
cedar notes at various times. This isn't a big or concentrated wine,
and it might get lost in the shuffle at a big offline, but it does its
job- to accompany a fine meal- very very well. A-

There was still some LMHB as we headed to a big cheese plate
(Explorateur, St Marcellin, Gorgonzola, Gouda, Gruyere), but Mark also
opened the 1975 Beychevelle (St Julien). This has a fresh note from
the rather high acidity, bright redder fruit with some damp earth and
cigarbox. Quite tasty, but it does still have a little tannin that is
a tad distracting, and I don't like as much as the La Mish. B+/B

Lovely night with fun people! Who knew '74 could be so good.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency