Anders Tørneskog

Default Sherry Surprise

"Young Martle" > skrev i melding

> I have not had much experience with Sherry.
>
> Last night I tried Tio Pepe for the first time. On the nose it
> reminded me slightly of a Tawny Port. When I tasted it I was quite
> surprised however.
>
> It reminded me of Grappa!
>
> Which is fine for Grappa but not for Sherry. IMO
> Is this normal? and should I go back and give it another chance?

You don't like Grappa?
Tio Pepe is a good specimen of _Fino_ Sherry which is pretty different from
Amontillado or Oloroso types. A fino is watery clear, bone dry, and tangy.
Imho, a very nice drink.
Anders

Cwdjrx _

Fino should be drunk soon after being put in bottle and loses freshness
fairly rapidly. If too old, it has a flat and stale taste. Although some
sherry can improve in cask, there usually is nothing to be gained by
more age in bottle. However some of the very full types of sherry will
at least hold in bottle a few years. Here in the US, it is very easy to
buy fino that is too old. You need to buy from a store that has a rapid
turnover of fino. In an ideal world, every bottle of fino woud have a
"consume by" date on the label.

Reply to .

Sherry notbob General Cooking 30 30-05-2014 12:00 AM
Cooking Sherry vs Sherry slpeek General Cooking 16 16-03-2013 06:32 PM
Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) " amandaF General Cooking 45 18-10-2008 11:18 PM
Cooking Sherry vs. Dry Sherry JOHN CZEPKOWSKI Wine 20 05-11-2007 06:19 AM
TN I like a Rheingau more than a Rhone white (surprise, surprise) DaleW Wine 11 16-09-2007 02:50 AM