qaz216

Default 1955 Don Perignon

I was recently visiting and Elderly family member and they gave me 2
bottles of 1955 Don Perignon. I have been trying to do some research
to find out how much I can sell this for, but I have not been able to
find any Don Perignon that was that old listed on the internet.

The bottles were kept in a regular cabinet. Does that detract from the
quality of the wine (ie: must be kept in a wine cellar)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aryeh

Cwdjrx _

If kept in a regular cabinet rather than a very cold wine cellar, I
would guess that this wine has been dead for many years. Champagne needs
very cool storage to last a long time. Also only a very few Champagnes
last well for 50 years or more, even with ideal storage. A few 55's
tasted by Michael Broadbent in the 90s were still very good, if you like
the old champagne style. He mentioned that he tasted the 55 Dom Perignon
in magnum in 1986, and it was maderized then(unfit to drink).
Considering the non-ideal stoage, the age, and the one tasting note, I
would guess the chance that this wine is still drinkable is under one
percent, and that it would be very difficult to sell it for much money.
I would taste one bottle, as there is a very slight chance that it is
still drinkable, but have something else in reserve if it is not.

Reply to .

Alois Kracher 1955 - 2007 Michael Pronay Wine 10 06-12-2007 03:53 PM
Sicilian Pizza (1955, Chicago?) Barry Popik Historic 2 17-10-2004 02:21 PM
Rayas 1955 white sticky, and others Mike Tommasi Wine 11 22-03-2004 10:24 PM
Dom Perignon villa deauville Wine 7 10-03-2004 05:23 PM
Dom Perignon TOWINZ Winemaking 0 13-12-2003 07:39 PM