Barry Popik

Default Sicilian Pizza (1955, Chicago?)

I keep getting "too many posts," so I have to srop sending stuff. I'll
try again with this (sent originally to the American Dialect Society).

Barry Popik

Subj: Sicilian Pizza (1955)
Date: 10/8/2004 2:22:03 AM Eastern Standard Time

Sent from the Internet (Details)

The NEW YORK POST on Thursday had a Columbus Day special section. In
the
discussion of all things Italian, "pizza" somehow came up.

http://specialsections.nypost.com/ne...007/p66_a3.htm
Pg. 88:
The first know (sic) pizzeria in the US opened in New York City in
1905, by
Gennaro Lombardi. Lombardi's is still going strong, on SPring Street.

Although Neapolitans were the purists, it's believed that Bologna was
the
region that started to use meat--but the Sicilian pizza is not from
Sicily at
all--it's an American invention.

Now that ProQuest has the CHICAGO TRIBUNE up to mid-1953, let's take a
search
look for "Sicilian pizza."

OED ("miserable on food") doesn't have "Sicilian" pizza? Can that be?

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Display Ad 81 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 21,
1965. p.
OC4 (1 page) :
Add zest to your meals, give the family a special treat, visit the
brand new,
so unusual bakery FRANK PANZARELLA just opened in the Magnolia Center,
Magnolia & Ball, Anaheim. Mr. Panzarella, a master baker offers
Italian, French and Sicilian breads, rolls and pastries. You must try
the delightful Sicilian
Pizza, different in shape, they're square, and certain to delight one
and all.
Open 24 hours a day, all baked each night and ready, warm from the
ovens. Free
delivery within the area. FRANK'S BAKERY, OR CALL 827-8440.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Herald Thursday, December 22, 1955 Chicago, Illinois
....Bensenville OPEN TILL MIDNIGHT Try Our SICILIAN PIZZA' CARRY OUT
PH.
BEN'S.....at the home in K I Now Serving PIZZA At MILLIE'S Green St.
at York Rd..
Pg. 69?, col. 1:
PIZZA
AT
MILLIE'S
Green St. at York Rd. in Bensenville
"Try Our Sicilian Pizza"

Daily Intelligencer/ Thursday, June 04, 1964 Doylestown/,
Pennsylvania/
....Fried Meat Balls And Mushrooms. i This PIZZA Is A Meal In Itself.
OUR
REGULAR.....The Newest TasJe BIG JUMBO FAMILY SIZE SICILIAN STYLE Can
Be Cut To
Your Order..

(I'll check the digitized CHICAGO TRIBUNE again in about a month--ed.)
Bob (this one)

Barry Popik wrote:

> I keep getting "too many posts," so I have to srop sending stuff.

You've posted this sort of message a few times now. From what source
do you get these notes?

> I'll try again with this (sent originally to the American Dialect

Society).

> Barry Popik
>
> Subj: Sicilian Pizza (1955)
> Date: 10/8/2004 2:22:03 AM Eastern Standard Time

> Sent from the Internet (Details)
>

> The NEW YORK POST on Thursday had a Columbus Day special section. In
> the discussion of all things Italian, "pizza" somehow came up.

http://specialsections.nypost.com/ne...007/p66_a3.htm
> Pg. 88:
> The first know (sic) pizzeria in the US opened in New York City in
> 1905, by Gennaro Lombardi. Lombardi's is still going strong, on SPring Street.
>
> Although Neapolitans were the purists, it's believed that Bologna was
> the region that started to use meat--but the Sicilian pizza is not from
> Sicily at all--it's an American invention.

If by Sicilian pizza they mean the square, bready kind, it's most
assuredly not an American invention. My Sicilian grandmother came to
the US in 1905 with her various recipes for "sfinciuni." Square,
thick, bready pizza with various, rather spare, additions as either
toppings or elements to be included in the dough or both. It wasn't
seen as a small bread matrix to hold toppings. Rather, it was bread
with some flavoring agents for interest.

Pastorio

> Now that ProQuest has the CHICAGO TRIBUNE up to mid-1953, let's take a
> search look for "Sicilian pizza."
>
> OED ("miserable on food") doesn't have "Sicilian" pizza? Can that be?
>

> (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
> Display Ad 81 -- No Title
> Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 21,
> 1965. p.
> OC4 (1 page) :
> Add zest to your meals, give the family a special treat, visit the
> brand new, > so unusual bakery FRANK PANZARELLA just opened in the Magnolia Center,
> Magnolia & Ball, Anaheim. Mr. Panzarella, a master baker offers
> Italian, French and Sicilian breads, rolls and pastries. You must try
> the delightful Sicilian Pizza, different in shape, they're square, and certain to delight one
> and all. Open 24 hours a day, all baked each night and ready, warm from the
> ovens. Free delivery within the area. FRANK'S BAKERY, OR CALL 827-8440.
>

> (WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
> Herald Thursday, December 22, 1955 Chicago, Illinois
> ...Bensenville OPEN TILL MIDNIGHT Try Our SICILIAN PIZZA' CARRY OUT
> PH.
> BEN'S.....at the home in K I Now Serving PIZZA At MILLIE'S Green St.
> at York Rd..
> Pg. 69?, col. 1:
> PIZZA AT MILLIE'S
> Green St. at York Rd. in Bensenville
> "Try Our Sicilian Pizza"
>
> Daily Intelligencer/ Thursday, June 04, 1964 Doylestown/,
> Pennsylvania/
> ...Fried Meat Balls And Mushrooms. i This PIZZA Is A Meal In Itself.
> OUR REGULAR.....The Newest TasJe BIG JUMBO FAMILY SIZE SICILIAN STYLE Can
> Be Cut To Your Order..
>
> (I'll check the digitized CHICAGO TRIBUNE again in about a month--ed.)

Barry Popik

The ProQuest digitization of the Chicago Tribune is now at the end of
1953, and there's no "Sicilian pizza." However, there is "pizza
Siciliana" and "pizza Sicilian style."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Scotch Haggis Interesting--at Least to Sample; Tuesday Menu
MARY MEADE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Mar 22,
1948.
p. A7 (1 page) :
A good many of my readers are going to want this new cook book: "The
Art of
Italian Cooking," by Maria Lo Pinto ($2.75, Doubleday and Co., New
York). (...)
Among the 200 recipes in this book are such dishes as rabit--hunter's
style,
brandied duck, Sicilian tomato pie (pizza Siciliana).

Reader's $5 Favorite Recipe Takes Long Trip; Gets a Royal Reception
MARY MEADE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 21,
1953.
p. A3 (1 page) :
"I also use the creamed cottage cheese for pizza Sicilian style, when
I can't
get ricotta. I roll out the pizza dough, not too thin, spread with
sauteed
onions, a thin layer of the cheese, then seasoned crushed canned
tomatoes, a
thin sprinkling of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, oregano, and a
few drops of
oil in which a small clove of farlic has been crushed, and bake it.
This is a
rich and filling pizza, and with a tossed vegetable salad, it's a
complete
meal."

Old Chicago Pizza Janet Bostwick General Cooking 50 08-02-2014 03:18 AM
25 Best Pizza's In Chicago Lou Decruss General Cooking 1 05-04-2011 05:27 PM
Watery Chicago Pizza? Alex R. Baking 5 11-05-2004 10:05 PM