dick neidich

Default 1994 Estate Bottled Gallo of North Sonoma

Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in my
opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet of
Northern Sonoma.

Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say is
this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak, Montelena,
Insignia could not compare.

Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the name
was GREAT!

D. Gerasimatos

In article .net>,
dick neidich > wrote:

>Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in my
>opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet of
>Northern Sonoma.
>
>Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say is
>this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak, Montelena,
>Insignia could not compare.
>
>Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the name
>was GREAT!

Gallo owns some very nice properties with old vines in prime locations.
The same is true of other mass market wineries like Beringer. In the last
10 years or so Gallo has started to try to make some interesting wines
from these vineyards with pretty good results.

Dimitri

Tom S

> In article .net>,
> dick neidich > wrote:
>>
>>Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in
>>my
>>opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet
>>of
>>Northern Sonoma.
>>
>>Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say
>>is
>>this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak, Montelena,
>>Insignia could not compare.
>>
>>Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the
>>name
>>was GREAT!

I too have had some really nice Cabernet from Gallo - and for less $$ than
that probably cost. The 1997 Barrelli Creek is really nice, and I got it on
sale for ~$22US.

Tom S

Tom S

> In article .net>,
> dick neidich > wrote:
>>
>>Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in
>>my
>>opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet
>>of
>>Northern Sonoma.
>>
>>Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say
>>is
>>this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak, Montelena,
>>Insignia could not compare.
>>
>>Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the
>>name
>>was GREAT!

I too have had some really nice Cabernet from Gallo - and for less $$ than
that probably cost. The 1997 Barrelli Creek is really nice, and I got it on
sale for ~$22US.

Tom S

dick neidich

Tom, the estate bottled Cab is a more premium postioned than that.

I like Barrelli and Stefano in some years. The 1997 was overoaked for my
taste at release time.

"Tom S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> In article .net>,
>> dick neidich > wrote:
>>>
>>>Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in
>>>my
>>>opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet
>>>of
>>>Northern Sonoma.
>>>
>>>Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say
>>>is
>>>this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak,
>>>Montelena,
>>>Insignia could not compare.
>>>
>>>Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the
>>>name
>>>was GREAT!

> I too have had some really nice Cabernet from Gallo - and for less $$ than
> that probably cost. The 1997 Barrelli Creek is really nice, and I got it
> on sale for ~$22US.
>
> Tom S

gerald

Every year, I go to the Addie Bassin Barrel Sampling. Some 10 or 15
years ago, Gallo came out with their something special wines at $40
per. .Al Brounstein of Diamond Creek stated " I'll be damned if Gallo
is going to sell a wine for more money than mine", or some such. He
raised the price of Diamond Creek from about $20 to $45 on the spot,

Diamond Creek sold out. Since then, Botique Cabs ar sold by the
bottle.

It is my understanding that Gallo own more vineyard land than anyone
else in CA, and that Gallo owns more very good vineyard land than
anyone else.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:51:22 GMT, "dick neidich"
> wrote:

>Several years ago I purchased a 6 bottle case of a Gallo wine that was in my
>opinion the wine of the Vintage. It was the 1994 Estate Bottled Cabernet of
>Northern Sonoma.
>
>Last night we opened this incredible bottle with dinner and all I can say is
>this was the best of 1994 from Napa in my opinion. Silver Oak, Montelena,
>Insignia could not compare.
>
>Gallo can make GREAT wine when they want to. This wine other than the name
>was GREAT!

gerald