Leo Bueno

Default Refrigeration times

Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?
Thanks.

WINE REFRIGERATION TIME
Sparkling 4 hours
Light Sweet Whites 4 hours
Dry Light Aromatic Whites 2 hours
Medium-bodied Dry Whites 1.5 hours
Full-bodied Sweet Whites 1.5 hours
Full-bodied Dry Whites 1 hour
Light Reds 1 hour
Medium-bodied Reds 40 minutes
Full-bodied Reds 20 minutes

Ron Natalie

Leo Bueno wrote:
> Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?
> Thanks.
>
> WINE REFRIGERATION TIME
> Sparkling 4 hours
> Light Sweet Whites 4 hours
> Dry Light Aromatic Whites 2 hours
> Medium-bodied Dry Whites 1.5 hours
> Full-bodied Sweet Whites 1.5 hours
> Full-bodied Dry Whites 1 hour
> Light Reds 1 hour
> Medium-bodied Reds 40 minutes
> Full-bodied Reds 20 minutes

What are we timing here? None of this makes anysense but I suspect
you're trying to tell what temperature to serve wine at?

The amount of time this requires in your fridge would hence depend
on their initial temperature, the temperature of your fridge, whether
the bottle is in contact with anything else, etc... Most wine comes
out of my cellar the right temperature (sometimes the reds need to sit
out for a bit to warm up).

Whites/sparklers bottles should feel noticably cool (but not ice cold like
things that have been left for days in the fridge). Most reds should
feel like their just below the room temperature.

I've never gotten more involved than that.
Anders Tørneskog

"Leo Bueno" > skrev i melding

> Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?
> Thanks.

Which temperature is your fridge? Which temperature is your living space?
Which temperature is your wine before you put it in the fridge?
Anders

Yvon Thoraval

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?

Why are u giving emphasis upon refrigeration time rather than
refrigeration temperature ?
--
Yvon Thoraval
Yvon Thoraval

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?
> Thanks.

Here is a web site giving answers upon temperature :
http://www.vignobletiquette.com/info/degust/tempser.htm
(in french)
summary :

Champagne : 8-10 °c
Slopes Champagne : 14-16 °c

Alsace
white : 8-10 °c
red : 12 °c
late grape harvest and noble selections of grains : 10-12 °c

Bordeaux
white dry : 8-10 °c
Liqueur-like white wines : 5-6 °c
Light and pale red wines : 12-14 °c
Red wines with maturity : 16-18 °c
Old reds : 18-20 °c

Bourgogne
white dry : 10-12 °c
red : 15-17 °c

Beaujolais
white dry : 8-10 °c
New wines : 10-12 °c
red : 14-16 °c

Jura
white dry : 10-12 °c
red : 14-16 °c

Savoie
white dry : 10-12 °c
red : 12-14 °c

Côtes du Thöne
white dry : 10-12 °c
Rosy wines : 8-10 °c
red : 15-18 °c

Corse and Côtes de Provence
white dry and rosy : 8-10 °c
Sweet aperitif wines : 5-6 °c
red : 14-16 °c

South-West
white dry : 8-10 °c
red : 15-18 °c

Loire Valley

white dry : 8-10°
red : 14-16°

--
Yvon Thoraval

xenophobe

yo', lee ...

most guys here are too polite in their queries. what the hell is your
point?

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message

> Take a look at the table below. Any corrections? Any additions?
> Thanks.
>
> WINE REFRIGERATION TIME
> Sparkling 4 hours
> Light Sweet Whites 4 hours
> Dry Light Aromatic Whites 2 hours
> Medium-bodied Dry Whites 1.5 hours
> Full-bodied Sweet Whites 1.5 hours
> Full-bodied Dry Whites 1 hour
> Light Reds 1 hour
> Medium-bodied Reds 40 minutes
> Full-bodied Reds 20 minutes

Leo Bueno

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:11:52 GMT, "xenophobe"
> wrote:

>yo', lee ...
>

>most guys here are too polite in their queries. what the hell is your
>point?

Well put.

I am just trying to figure out some rules of thumb for serving wines.

Yes, there temperature guidelines. I am trying to approximate those
guidelines in another domain: refrigeration times.

The assumption is that bottles are originally stored at "room
temperature", meaning not in the basement but where the family
actually lives, and that folk set their refrigerators' temperature
fairly uniformly.

Yvon Thoraval

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> Because it is not easy to measure the temperature INSIDE the bottle.
>
> Given that "room temperature" is generally uniform in the
> climate-controlled world and so are refrigerator temperatures, a
> refrigeration time rule of thumb may not be bad approximation.

ok, in that case, take a time constant of 20 mn (saying tau), as a rule
of thumb, then, having T1 the romm temperature where the bottle was,
take T2 the fridge temperature, the bottle temperature will follow :

Tbottle = T1 + (T2 - T1).e^( - time / tau)

time being expressed in the same unit as tau...

for time in hours (tau = 1/3) gives :

Tbottle = T1 + (T2 - T1).e^( - 3.time)

giving, for time :

time (in hours) = (ln((T2 - T1)/(Tbottle - T1)))/3

as far as i remember well algebraic computation ;-)

--
Yvon Thoraval
xenophobe

but "refrigerators" (whether they have thermostats set to achieve mid 50's
or low 40's) cool 75% more quickly than does proper wine storage equipment.
the former is designed for quick recovery to avoid food spoilage or maintain
temp in high volume, commercial operations serving wine. likewise, the
quick evacuation of warm air will result in a dehydrative effect,
jeopardizing the corks and wine in any time more than a few months.

the latter is designed to avoid severe fluctuations that would have an
adverse impact on the integrity of wines under "storage" (i.e., "long term).
the delta is minimized, temps are more consistent and higher humidity
relative to the lower temperature is achieved and maintained.

one could always drop a bottle into liquid nitrogen for about 0.005 seconds
if one is really in a hurry.

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:11:52 GMT, "xenophobe"
> > wrote:
>
>>yo', lee ...
>>

>>most guys here are too polite in their queries. what the hell is your
>>point?
>>

> Well put.
>
> I am just trying to figure out some rules of thumb for serving wines.
>
> Yes, there temperature guidelines. I am trying to approximate those
> guidelines in another domain: refrigeration times.
>
> The assumption is that bottles are originally stored at "room
> temperature", meaning not in the basement but where the family
> actually lives, and that folk set their refrigerators' temperature
> fairly uniformly.

xenophobe

water is a better conductor than air?????? liquid transfers heat 8 - 10
times more slowly than air. if you go into a swimming pool in on a 100
degree day, the water is still cool.

if you put your finger over a flame with nothing but air in between, versus
putting it in a pan of water sitting on that flame, i think you'll note the
difference in conduction.

then again, why would anyone other than gordon liddy want to?

> Thus said, for a standard (750ml) bottle and the surrounding media
> being air (= fridge), this fixed time span is 40 to 45 minutes.
> If the surrounding media is water (= ice bucket), this fixed time
> span shortens to 12 to 15 minutes, water being a much better heat
> conductor than air.
>
> M.

Cwdjrx _

Michael Pronay states in part: "Thus said, for a standard (750ml) bottle
and the surrounding media being air (= fridge), this fixed time span is
40 to 45 minutes. If the surrounding media is water (= ice bucket), this
fixed time span shortens to 12 to 15 minutes, water being a much better
heat conductor than air."

Although seldom used for chilling wine anymore, a mixture of ice and
salt greatly lowers the temperature of a cooling mixture. At one time
frozen Champagne was very popular. In the first edition of The Epicurean
written by Charles Ranhofer in 1893, detailed instructions for freezing
Champagne are given. It can be done in a large pail, but a special
Champange freezer is illustrated. It resembles a hand-cranked ice cream
freezer, except it grips and turns a bottle of Champagne.

"Make a mixture of three pounds of finely pounded ice with a pound and a
half of rock salt, not too coarse: fill the pail to the top, mix well
together and turn the botte by the neck to give it a backward and
forward movement from right to left. If the Champagne be taken from the
ice box where it has been lying for several hours, then it will take
only tweve to fourteen minutes to freeze, but if it has not been
previously on ice, then it will require fifteen to eighteen minutes for
the operation. Champagne can be froozen without turning it around by
leaving it in the salted ice for half an hour before serving. Machines
are sometimes used which simplify the work greatly; the same time is
required, only the labor is less fatiguing. When finished serve in a
metal silver-plated pail with salted ice around. These are to be placed
either on the table or on a small side table."

Charles Ranhofer, the retired chef of Delmonico's in New York City, is
speaking from long experience. Delmonico's likely served many bottles of
frozen Champagne every day in the late 1800s.

Reply to .

Yvon Thoraval

xenophobe > wrote:

> water is a better conductor than air??????

yes because of conduction, in air this is mostly radiation...
--
Yvon Thoraval
Ron Natalie

Yvon Thoraval wrote:
> xenophobe > wrote:
>

>>water is a better conductor than air??????

> yes because of conduction, in air this is mostly radiation...

Actually, mostly convection in air.