Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 AM
werewolf

Default Does miso need refrigeration?

Old 12-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Musashi

"werewolf" wrote in message
om...

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

"werewolf" wrote in message
om...

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

--
Dan

Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Max

Dan Logcher wrote:
Musashi wrote:

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

"We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."

..max

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old 12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Musashi wrote:

"werewolf" wrote in message
om...

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

--
Dan

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years
and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite "nasty"
it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be completely
edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the advent
of
refrigeration. BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration
despite having egg in it.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Musashi

"Max" wrote in message
Dan Logcher wrote:
Musashi wrote:

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

"We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."

.max

When I was in high school a friend of mine (American) used to spread miso on
his
toast. This freaked me out since I was only used to Miso being in soup.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite "nasty"
it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be completely
edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the advent
of refrigeration.

I've got a sample of miso thats been in my fridge for over a year.
I might give it a try and see how it tastes. It doesn't look like shiro miso
anymore.

BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration despite having egg in it.

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

--
Dan

Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Musashi

Musashi wrote:

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to

eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite

"nasty"
it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be

completely
edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the

advent
of refrigeration.

I've got a sample of miso thats been in my fridge for over a year.
I might give it a try and see how it tastes. It doesn't look like shiro

miso
anymore.

On the TV show they scraped off the outer "crust" as it was too hard-
dehydrated.
The Miso underneath it was fine. Suggest you do likewise.

BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration despite having egg in it.

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

I can't remember if it was an opened jar or not.
But they had it sitting on a windowsill for 3 months.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

On the TV show they scraped off the outer "crust" as it was too hard-
dehydrated.
The Miso underneath it was fine. Suggest you do likewise.

Thanks. I'll try that.

I can't remember if it was an opened jar or not.
But they had it sitting on a windowsill for 3 months.

Couldn't have been opened..

--
Dan

Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Graeme... in London

BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration despite having egg in it.

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

--
Dan

Dan,

Mayonnaise will keep for a lot longer than 3 months unrefridgerated, even
opened. Its not the mayo that goes off, but normally a contaminated spoon or
knife that has scooped out the product. i.e. butter on knife, or spoon not
cleaned correctly. It's this cross contamination that kick starts the
chemical reaction. In the UK, mayonnaise is not sold refridgerated, but
stacked on shelves.

Saying that, I usually keep mine in the fridge once opened.

Graeme (too lazy to clean the damned knife)

Old 12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Dan Logcher

Graeme... in London wrote:

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

Mayonnaise will keep for a lot longer than 3 months unrefridgerated, even
opened. Its not the mayo that goes off, but normally a contaminated spoon or
knife that has scooped out the product. i.e. butter on knife, or spoon not
cleaned correctly. It's this cross contamination that kick starts the
chemical reaction. In the UK, mayonnaise is not sold refridgerated, but
stacked on shelves.

They don't refridgerate pre-sold mayonaise in the US either. I have a jar
in the cabinet now. But I would never consider leaving it out after opening.
It's just asking for an illness.

Saying that, I usually keep mine in the fridge once opened.

Same, and any mayo products too. I often mix a batch of spicy mayo
for sushi and put it in a squeeze bottle. I keep that handy in the
fridge door.

Graeme (too lazy to clean the damned knife)

To scared to test your theory.

--
Dan

Old 12-05-2004, 10:08 PM
John Droge

m...

Musashi wrote:

"werewolf" wrote in message
om...

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

--
Dan

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years

So there will be Miso AND Twinkies to eat after the appocalypse the post
doomsday Pacific Rim Cuisine!!
John

Old 13-05-2004, 01:44 AM
werewolf

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

Musashi wrote:

"There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that
tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to
eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some
many
years..."

Was that test for non-refrigerated products, Musashi?

They say that Indian ghee can last for many years unrefrigerated.

Also, where I live the desert temperatures get very very hot. Would
that effect the edible lifespan of these foods? But then it gets hot
in India too.

Old 13-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Christopher Browne

Oops! (werewolf) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened
it needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible
for more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression
I get, anyway.

The last time I was part of a "mass poisoning" was when some pasta
salad went "off" a few years ago, and about 150 people got sick. I
wasn't impressed with mayo that week, I can assure you :-).
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/

refrigeration of starter Railfanner Sourdough 16 22-03-2008 12:47 PM
LG Refrigeration? Nartker Cooking Equipment 0 19-09-2005 10:21 PM
Refrigeration times Leo Bueno Wine 14 13-03-2005 12:37 PM
Does miso need refrigeration? werewolf Asian Cooking 10 24-05-2004 05:50 AM
Refrigeration? Frogleg Historic 49 14-02-2004 12:16 PM