Andrew Goldfinch

Default TN:Penfolds Reserve Bin 00A Chardonnay

Jodie & I took my son gliding over the Yarra Valley for his 14th birthday on
Saturday, this was followed by 9 holes of golf (a 44 for me ) and then
dinner at the Lobster Cave in Beaumaris (seafood is his favourite). We
foolishly ordered the Garlic & Herb bread, an entree each and the Seafood
Platter (for 2 mind) to share. Waaaaaaay too much food. I had a Crown Lager
to start and we got a bottle of the Penfolds 00A to split. (we always buy
the kids a nice wine at their birthday dinner and they are allowed a glass
with their main course. In the past Matt has had Chateau Beaucastle, Charlie
Meltons Nine Popes, Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet etc.)

The wine was a golden straw colour. Complex nose of melon, spice and fig
with a hint of butterscotch. Mouthfilling creamy palate, with flavours of
citrus, melon, hazelnut and and some rancio almond backpalate. Very good
length. Clean acid finish with citrus, melon &, grapefruit aftertaste. This
was a very good wine that didn't take too well to the seafood. After eating
some of the delicious sweet seafood the wine had a peculiar medicinal taste
(disprin?). I ended up drinking water with the platter and finishing the
wine after dinner where it showed MUCH better.
Cheers Andrew