Bill Loftin

Default A nice wine label

I opened a bottle of wine for dinner tonight that someone brought over
last week. It was a 2002 Pacific Edge "Hell N Back" Zinfandel from Paso
Robles. The first thing that happened was my wife said it was a nice label
and that she wanted to save it. I commented that if the label was worth
saving that wine was likely lousy. She decided to taste it while I was still
cooking and told me there was no fruit and that it had a dull taste. Not
good at all. That reaffirmed my position that if it had a great label then
the contents were suspect. I tasted it and didn't find any fruit at all.
Deep down in there I found the TCA. The cork had no smell to it (it had
been upright for at least a week and was dry ) The TCA blew my nice lesson
about fancy packaging.
Bill
Tam

On 26/2/05 1:05 am, in article xXPTd.30445$uc.18973@trnddc01, "Bill Loftin"
> wrote:

> I commented that if the label was worth
> saving that wine was likely lousy.

Dottie and John (the WSJ "Tastings" column) did a piece some months ago
about wine with animals in the name or on the label.

Mostly pretty rough stuff, they concluded.

Here's the article:
http://tinyurl.com/583t6

Mat

Tam wrote:
> On 26/2/05 1:05 am, in article xXPTd.30445$uc.18973@trnddc01, "Bill Loftin"
> > wrote:
>

>>I commented that if the label was worth
>>saving that wine was likely lousy.

> Dottie and John (the WSJ "Tastings" column) did a piece some months ago
> about wine with animals in the name or on the label.
>
> Mostly pretty rough stuff, they concluded.
>
> Here's the article:
> http://tinyurl.com/583t6

Yellowtail?

I think a lot of flora and fauna on wine labels these days is strictly
for the OS market, particuarly from Australia.

Also the Wild Dog stable from around Gippsland way I think [Victoria
Australia] is reputed to be somewhat rustic, but quite quaffable.

My mind is a little frazzled at the mo, so I can't think of anymore off
the top of my head.

But yes, the general thinking as far as I've heard is that if you are
putting money into labels you are taking money out of the wine itself.

Walter L. Preuninger II

"Bill Loftin" > wrote in message
> I opened a bottle of wine for dinner tonight that someone brought over
> last week. It was a 2002 Pacific Edge "Hell N Back" Zinfandel from Paso
> Robles. The first thing that happened was my wife said it was a nice label
> and that she wanted to save it. I commented that if the label was worth
> saving that wine was likely lousy. She decided to taste it while I was

still
> cooking and told me there was no fruit and that it had a dull taste. Not
> good at all. That reaffirmed my position that if it had a great label then
> the contents were suspect. I tasted it and didn't find any fruit at all.
> Deep down in there I found the TCA. The cork had no smell to it (it had
> been upright for at least a week and was dry ) The TCA blew my nice lesson
> about fancy packaging.
> Bill

That wine would go great with my Seven Deadly [S,Z]ins Party, if it were
drinkable... Which brings up a question:

If you encounter a corked bottle, do you buy another one or do you not ever
think about buying that one again?

Walter

Bill Loftin

Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

>>I opened a bottle of wine for dinner tonight that someone brought over
>>last week. It was a 2002 Pacific Edge "Hell N Back" Zinfandel from Paso
>>Robles. The first thing that happened was my wife said it was a nice label
>>and that she wanted to save it. I commented that if the label was worth
>>saving that wine was likely lousy. She decided to taste it while I was

> That wine would go great with my Seven Deadly [S,Z]ins Party, if it were
> drinkable... Which brings up a question:

No, you want a bottle of Sin Zin to complement the Seven Deadly Zins and
while you are at it visit the Bonny Doon webstie for an hour or so.

> If you encounter a corked bottle, do you buy another one or do you not ever
> think about buying that one again?

Take the bottle back to the retail merchant that sold it to you if it is corked
but in my case it was a gift and it was also a wine that I would not likely buy.
There are too many really good Zins out there to mess with this.

Bill Loftin

Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

>>I opened a bottle of wine for dinner tonight that someone brought over
>>last week. It was a 2002 Pacific Edge "Hell N Back" Zinfandel from Paso
>>Robles. The first thing that happened was my wife said it was a nice label
>>and that she wanted to save it. I commented that if the label was worth
>>saving that wine was likely lousy. She decided to taste it while I was

> That wine would go great with my Seven Deadly [S,Z]ins Party, if it were
> drinkable... Which brings up a question:

No, you want a bottle of Sin Zin to complement the Seven Deadly Zins and
while you are at it visit the Bonny Doon webstie for an hour or so.

> If you encounter a corked bottle, do you buy another one or do you not ever
> think about buying that one again?

Take the bottle back to the retail merchant that sold it to you if it is corked
but in my case it was a gift and it was also a wine that I would not likely buy.
There are too many really good Zins out there to mess with this.

Cost of Having a Wine Label Designed... packagedesign Winemaking 1 08-06-2011 06:30 PM
Wine Label Printing Franca Winemaking 18 08-06-2011 05:40 PM
Need Help With Italian Wine Label cruciverbalist Wine 9 05-10-2006 01:25 PM
A Nice Saturday Evening of Wine...... I/C TARRANT Wine 1 18-10-2005 07:32 PM
Wine label contest darp Winemaking 0 24-03-2005 12:50 AM