Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Need Help With Italian Wine Label

Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?

And, as long as I'm picking the group's collective brain, it is a 2001
Riserva. Did I get a decent bottle? Living in Pa (USA) with its state
store system the choices are slim. But it was on sale ($17.99).

TIA, Jack
Posted to alt.food.wine

cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
> I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
> have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
> the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
> it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
> What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
> Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?
>
> And, as long as I'm picking the group's collective brain, it is a 2001
> Riserva. Did I get a decent bottle? Living in Pa (USA) with its state
> store system the choices are slim. But it was on sale ($17.99).
>
> TIA, Jack

I believe 'Azienda' mens producer.

Here's some guidance:

http://www.contentmart.com/ContentMa...D=77&content=1

"Azienda (or Casa) vitivinicola - An estate that grows vines, buys in
grapes and makes wines"

Does that answer it? This Google thing is nice, eh?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote:

>cruciverbalist wrote:
>> Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
>> I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
>> have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
>> the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
>> it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
>> What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
>> Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?
>>
>> And, as long as I'm picking the group's collective brain, it is a 2001
>> Riserva. Did I get a decent bottle? Living in Pa (USA) with its state
>> store system the choices are slim. But it was on sale ($17.99).
>>
>> TIA, Jack

>I believe 'Azienda' mens producer.
>
>Here's some guidance:
>
>http://www.contentmart.com/ContentMa...D=77&content=1
>
>"Azienda (or Casa) vitivinicola - An estate that grows vines, buys in
>grapes and makes wines"
>
>Does that answer it? This Google thing is nice, eh?

Yes, it does answer it. Thank you. I tried Google but apparently I'm
not as adept at it as you are. And, besides, don't get snippy with me.
I've defended you in the past against charges of being a troll in this
newsgroup. ;-)

To your good health, Jack

Posted to alt.food.wine

cruciverbalist wrote:
> "UC" > wrote:
>

> >cruciverbalist wrote:
> >> Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
> >> I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
> >> have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
> >> the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
> >> it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
> >> What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
> >> Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?
> >>
> >> And, as long as I'm picking the group's collective brain, it is a 2001
> >> Riserva. Did I get a decent bottle? Living in Pa (USA) with its state
> >> store system the choices are slim. But it was on sale ($17.99).
> >>
> >> TIA, Jack

> >I believe 'Azienda' mens producer.
> >
> >Here's some guidance:
> >
> >http://www.contentmart.com/ContentMa...D=77&content=1
> >
> >"Azienda (or Casa) vitivinicola - An estate that grows vines, buys in
> >grapes and makes wines"
> >
> >Does that answer it? This Google thing is nice, eh?

> Yes, it does answer it. Thank you. I tried Google but apparently I'm
> not as adept at it as you are. And, besides, don't get snippy with me.
> I've defended you in the past against charges of being a troll in this
> newsgroup. ;-)
>
> To your good health, Jack

I wasn't being snippy. Glad I could be of help. I find Google
consistently gives me better results than other search engines. I put
in the terms: Italian wine label reading. I always associated
'Azienda' with 'producer', so now we both know more than that.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Here's another site:

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/wine_dictionary.html

Posted to alt.food.wine

Here's another site:

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/wine_dictionary.html

Posted to alt.food.wine

Here's another site:

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/wine_dictionary.html

Posted to alt.food.wine
TB TB is offline

cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
> I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
> have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
> the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
> it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
> What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
> Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?

Both mean pretty much the same thing, in this context. It is akin to
the difference between Ford and Ford Motor Company.

> And, as long as I'm picking the group's collective brain, it is a 2001
> Riserva. Did I get a decent bottle? Living in Pa (USA) with its state
> store system the choices are slim. But it was on sale ($17.99).
>
> TIA, Jack

I don't know if the Riserva means anything. But a Barbaresco for 18 US
Dollars is not a bad bargain at all IMHO.

Cheers

Posted to alt.food.wine

TB wrote:

> I don't know if the Riserva means anything. But a Barbaresco for 18 US
> Dollars is not a bad bargain at all IMHO.
>
> Cheers

Riserva in the case of Barbaresco means it has aged at least four years.
Normal Barbaresco DOCG must age at least two.

Reka
Posted to alt.food.wine

cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. With all the talk about Italian wines going on here I thought
> I'd finally try a Barbaresco. [Just so I don't offend anyone I may
> have it with food- and then again I might not! :-)] At any rate, on
> the front label it say: Rizzi Azienda Vitivinicola. On the back label
> it says: Bottled by Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi. So now I'm confused.
> What does Azienda Vitivinicola mean, and is the producer Rizzi or
> Azienda Vitivinicola Rizzi?

Azienda = firm, company, biz
Vitivinicolo/a = having to do with grapevines (viti-) and with wine
(vini-), "colo" being just a termination like the Engllish "-ous",
"-iac" and so on (see also: agri-colo, avi-colo (to do with avians,
birds), polli-colo (with chickens) etc..).
So, it sounds as it would for instance "Smith Vinegrapes & Wine
Company".

The significant point seems to be this one: the front label spells the
name of that wine (the "brand") and who is responsible for its being
put on the market (Azienda etc..). From the back label you get the
further bit of information according to which that wine has actually
been bottled by that very winery. It could have been bottled by
somebody else on their behalf, instead. This does not mean yet that it
is an "estate bottled" (i.e. "imbottigliato all'origine") wine, though
(although it may well be). In other words, it might be bottled by them
although not made by them, or might be made by them but not out of
grapes grown by them.

Cost of Having a Wine Label Designed... packagedesign Winemaking 1 08-06-2011 06:30 PM
Wine Label Printing Franca Winemaking 18 08-06-2011 05:40 PM
Italian label question Michael Pronay Wine 3 05-08-2007 09:43 AM
Wine label contest darp Winemaking 0 24-03-2005 12:50 AM
A nice wine label Bill Loftin Wine 5 28-02-2005 01:38 AM