Cwdjrx _

Default TN Ridge Esola Vineyard Zinfandel 1978

Ridge Shenandoah, Esola Vineyard Zinfandel 1978. 95% Zinfandel; 5%
Petite Sirah; 15.9% alcohol by volume; bottled March 1980; 25.4% sugar
in grapes; 0.27% residual sugar in wine; late harvest; from old vines.

This is a very good example of a late harvest Zinfandel. It still has a
strong dark berry fruit bouquet and taste and not the prune or raisin
character of much late harvest Zinfandel. It tastes a bit sweeter than
you might expect for 0.27%, probably because of the intense fruit and
adequate, but not high, acidity. It is now smooth and the considerable
medium tannins are resolved. It reminds me somewhat of some of the big
red table wines made in the Oporto region. This would be a good match
when you need a strong red wine for a dish with rather sweet fruit sauce
and such. Most Zinfandels of this age have lost most fruit, but late
harvest Zinfandels from Ridge that age well are not uncommon.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.